4th Follow-up - Re: Islam-Social and Political Peace - - and my follow-ups on Shahid Khan's plagiarism

  • DDN
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008

      B i s m i l l a a h i r   R a h m a a n i r   R a h e e m

      Assalaamu`Alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuhu

      Dear Owner-Moderator of Islamic Groups,

      I pray you are well by the grace of Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aala.

      I am writing with reference to your posting dated April 30, 2008 of Shahid Khan's: "Islam-Social and Political Peace"

      Shahid Khan has again plagiarised another Muslim's copyright, namely that of Imam Hamid Slimi, whose original title, as follows:

      Original Title: Justice in Islam
      A Peaceful Life
      Social and Political Peace
      © 2008 Faith of Life Network
      Written by Imam Hamid Slimi
      Chairman of the Canadian Council of Imams
      Canadian Council of Imams, Chairman
      Tel: 416.742.6776 (ext. 227)

      info@...

      I have written to your group several times vis-à-vis Shahid Khan's incorrigible plagiarism and copyright infringement. In case you did not receive them, my 1st-2nd-3rd follow-ups are attached above.

      I requested in my "1st and "2nd follow-ups on Shahid Khan's Plagiarism and Copyright Infringement" on September 03, 2007 the April 06, 2008, to:

      <<< Please put brother Shahid on moderated status and check his articles before transmitting them to your members, inshaa`Allaah. You can put a stop to this sort of "literary theft" reaching our unsuspecting Ummah. You can protect our brothers and sisters in Islam from unknowingly forwarding haraam/plagiarised material and be duly held accountable to Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aala? You can make a difference. >>>

      ....and provided you the same daleel from the scholars in every one of my "follow-ups":

      Shaykh Bakr ibn ‘Abd-Allaah Abu Zayd said: “These clauses which protect works from tampering or interference, and protect the value of the work and the efforts of its author, are things that are regarded as essential, based on the general principles of Islam. This is indicated clearly in the texts and basic principles of Sharee`ah, which you can find explained in detail in Adaab al-Mu’allifeen and Kutub al-Istilaah. (Fiqh al-Nawaazil, 2/65) http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=26307&ln=eng

      Imaam Muhammad bin Saalih Al-`Uthaymeen rahimahullaah has ruled that whatever is customary among people should be the rule except when a user wants a copy for himself and the author or the copyright holder has explicitly stated certain conditions, then it is not permissable for the user to violate those conditions. (Committee Fatwa no: 18453 - Sheikh Muhammad bin Saalih Al-`Uthaymeen)

      We Muslims know that Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aala has not sent us in this world without giving us any capacity and potential to cope with the inner strife of good and evil. And that we Muslims have been endowed with numerous faculties that help us fight the blind and irrational promptings of the Shaytaan's (wa a`oodhu billaahi minhum) evil. And that Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aala has also endowed us with logical reasoning through induction and deduction, abstractions and thoughtful reflections, on what is right and what is wrong.

      "Forbidding what is wrong" is a Muslim's obligation. Our Prophet Muhammad sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said - "Whoever among you sees an evil action or wrong (being committed), then let him change it with his hand (by taking action); if he is unable to do so then he must change it with his tongue (by speaking out against it); if he cannot do even this, then with his heart - and this is the weakest (stage of) faith." (Narrated by Imaam Muslim #70 from Aboo Sa`eed).

      Imaam Al-Nawawi rahimahullaah said in Sharh Saheeh Muslim: "The words of the Prophet sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam "let him change it" meaning that this is obligatory according to the consensus of the Ummah, and there is overwhelming evidence from the Qur`aan and Sunnah and scholarly consensus that it is obligatory to enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil, and  it also comes under the heading of naseehah (sincerity or sincere advice) which is Islam."

      Imaam Al-Nawawi rahimahullaah also said in Sharh Saheeh Muslim, describing who is obliged to forbid evil: "Moreover, enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil is a communal obligation; if some people do it, the rest are absolved of blame, but if all of them fail to do it, then each one who was able to do it but did not, with no excuse or fear, is guilty of sin. And it may become an individual obligation, such as if a person is in a place where no one knows of it but him, or if no one is able to remove it but him, such as one who sees his wife, child or slave committing an evil action or falling short in a good action. The scholars rahimahumullaah said: "Enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil is not waived in the case of one who is accountable because he thinks that it will do no good; rather he must do it for the reminder will benefit the believers."

      Al-`Allaamah al-Quraafi rahimahullaah said in al-Furooq (4/257): "The scholars said that enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil is obligatory and should be done immediately, according to consensus, and whoever is able to enjoin what is good should do so immediately."

      So denouncing evil is not limited to a certain number of times; rather the one who sees an evil action and is able to denounce it must do so, until the evil is stopped!!!

      Al-`Allaamah al-Safaareeni al-Hanbali rahimahullaah said in Ghidha’ al-Albaab fi Sharh Manzoomat al-Adaab (1/215): al-Haafeez Ibn Rajab said in his commentary on al-Arba’een al-Nawawiyyah: al-Qaadi Aboo Ya’la narrated two reports from Imaam Ahmad concerning the issue of whether it is obligatory to denounce an evil action when one knows that the person will not accept that, and he regarded as correct the views that it is obligatory. This will be discharging his duty towards Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aala.

      Thus it is clear that if we are able to forbid this evil act of Shahid Khan, without that leading to a greater evil, then it is obligatory for us to denounce this evil action even if we know that he will never stop plagiarising. As to whether we should denounce Shahid Khan's plagiarism publicly or privately, the basic principle is that the one who does the evil action openly should be denounced publicly, but if someone does it secretly, it is not permissible to rebuke him publicly. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah rahimahullaah said in al-Fataawa al-Kubra (3/434): "If a man commits evil actions openly, he must be rebuked openly, and speaking about him in his absence is no longer haraam."

      Dear owner-moderator, from what you have read above, inshaa`Allaah future postings of Shahid Khan's plagiarised articles to the members of your group will cease.

      Dear brothers and sisters of this group, from what you have read above, you know what you must do if you receive another one of Shahid Khan's articles, inshaa`Allaah - will you forbid what goes against the Sharee`ah or adopt a complacent attitude? And Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aala knows best.

      It is impossible to live in an environment if the social milieu turns a blind eye, deaf ears to evil, if wrongdoers can get away with the most serious of crimes (plagiarism in this case), if the righteous feel isolated and helpless, then, in such an Ummah, a Muslim will loose any sense of Islamic moral and spiritual integrity that he or she may possess if (s)he were to adopt a complacent attitude.

      Your response on this issue will be much appreciated, inshaa`Allaah.

      Wa aakhir da`waani A`nilhamdulilaahi Rabbil A`lameen.

      Fee Amaanillaah
      Your sister,
      K a r i m a
      DDN