The Geneology

  • Larry J. Swain <theswain@sbcglobal.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2003
      While writing lectures on Genesis I was reminded again of the theme
      of God opening wombs and baby's of promise being born (Eve, Sarah,
      Rebekah, Rachael), and then ONLY in the geneological lists is the
      paternity stated.

      So I began to wonder if this is idea isn't implicit in Matt. 1:1-17,
      that we are invited to read into the list the miraculous stories of
      barren births behind the geneologies. Luke of course invites us to
      make exactly these comparisons with the conception of John the B
      story. But is Matthew making a similar point, tieing Jesus more to
      Isaac as "sons of Abraham" and promise? What do you all think?

      Larry Swain

      Ernest,

      How's that dissertation coming?
    • MillerJimE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2003
        Larry Swain writes:
        << So I began to wonder if this is idea isn't implicit in Matt. 1:1-17,
        that we are invited to read into the list the miraculous stories of
        barren births behind the geneologies.>>

        The first thing I notice about both the geneology of Matthew and that of
        Luke is that they are geneologies of Joseph who, in both accounts, is not the
        biological father of Jesus. He is the legal father. Miraculous birth, yes,
        but Mary hadn't time to be "barren" yet, she was still young and virgin. I
        think there is a theme, stronger in Luke than Matthew, that geneologies are
        ended and "Abraham's seed" has to do with something other than biological
        descent.
        Jim Miller