Re: SBL Gospel of Matthew Section

  • MillerJimE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2002
      An E-list selection of papers was recently circulated. The Gospel of
      Matthew Section papers are listed on the following website
      http://www.class.uidaho.edu/jcanders/Matthew/matthew_section.htm
      In an act of shameless self-promotion, an abbreviated form of my paper
      may be found on this website, Divorce in the Gospel of Matthew (S24-17). As
      I would value feedback on this paper, I want any potential attendees to be
      able to view my arguments beforehand. Thanks,
      Jim Miller
    • LARRY SWAIN
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2002
        Jim,

        Sorry for the belated response to your message here.
        Could you give us an update on how your paper went,
        and other things at SBL? Between SBL, the holiday,
        and end of the semester, everyone is so busy that for
        those of us not at SBL, getting news is difficult.

        Larry Swain

      • MillerJimE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2002
          <<Jim,
          Sorry for the belated response to your message here.
          Could you give us an update on how your paper went,
          nd other things at SBL? Between SBL, the holiday,
          and end of the semester, everyone is so busy that for
          those of us not at SBL, getting news is difficult.
          Larry Swain>>

          At the SBL business meeting the estimated combined attendance (AAR and
          SBL) was 8500. The meetings were spread out among three hotels and a
          convention center. This made attending the meetings an athletic experience,
          unless you took the shuttles. The PATH (Toronto's underground shopping
          walkway) was interesting, but useless for getting around. It is a maze which
          requires longer than a few days to figure out. If you want to get somewhere
          you go outside.
          My paper studied Jesus' teachings on divorce in Matthew 5 and 19. I
          noticed that chapter 5 deals with remarriage of the divorced wife, and
          chapter 19 with the remarriage of the divorcing husband. I dealt mostly with
          chapter 19. As I understand it, Jesus denied the reality of divorce so that
          remarriage for the man would be polygamy. So the argument of chapter 19
          would be against polygamy. Genesis 1:27 and 2:24 were quoted against
          multiple marriage. I read 1:27 as quoted here as, "a male and a female he
          created them," translating with the indefinite article. I understood the
          eunuch section as describing celibacy as the alternative to marriage, and the
          disciples consternation indicates their loss of male privilege.
          One objection to my paper claimed that the two divorce texts were not
          related to each other. Too much text separates them and the language used is
          different. They cite Deut 24 differently and phrase the porneia clause
          differently. However, they neatly divide between the wife and the husband,
          both do cite Deut 24 and have a porneia exception clause. Also, I find that
          Matthew is constructed with sufficient care that I would expect the two texts
          to be interactive, even if the language is distinct.
          Another, strenuous objection was made against me reading polygamy into
          the text. The same person also objected to my insertion of the indefinite
          article into the translation of the Genesis 1:27 quote, claiming that I was
          adding words to the text. But as the indefinite article is not part of Greek
          (or Hebrew) grammar, its use, or non-use by the translator is strictly
          according to sense and should not be considered an alteration of the text.
          And if Jesus is indeed denying the reality of divorce in these texts, then
          polygamy is indeed the topic of the second divorce text.
          A couple of people gave me several references on the topic of eunuchs,
          which were helpful for another chapter in my book (this paper is a chapter
          out of a book in preparation), but do not seem relevant here. I do not see
          Matthew 19:10-12 as an exposition of eunuchs as a topic, but rather an
          exposition of the alternative to marriage. So, unless we assume that Jesus
          is advising lifelong batchelors to emasculate themselves, I assume that
          "eunuch" here is a code-word for celibacy, however inaccurate that may be
          from the point of view of a sex researcher.
          And Tuesday afternoon I was able to visit an art museum which was showing
          a special exhibition from the Hermitage. A couple of friends from Ottawa
          insisted that I go, and it was delightful. But that is a bit off topic.
          Perhaps other Gospel of Matthew Section presenters could outline their
          papers and responses here.
          Jim Miller