Matthew Books

  • theswain
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2001
      The following is a forward from new member Noel Fitzpatrick:

      As I wish to study Matthew's Gospel would you
      like to recommend some books? Are the
      following the preferred books on Matthew?

      (1) 'A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew',
      CS Keener, Eerdmans,1999.

      (2) 'The Birth of the Messiah'. RE Brown,
      Anchor.

      (3) 'Matthew, Anchor Vol 26', Eds CS Mann and
      WF Fulbright

      (4) 'An Introduction to the NT', RE Brown.
      Anchor Bible Ref Library.

      Congratulations on your initiative and I look
      forward to the list.

      Regards,

      Noel J Fitzpatrick.
      **********************************
      Noel Fitzpatrick
      16 Granville Park
      Blackrock
      Co Dublin
      Ireland
    • KWhitt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2001
        In a message dated 12/15/2001 11:30:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, Noel
        Fitzpatrick writes:

        > As I wish to study Matthew's Gospel would you
        > like to recommend some books? Are the
        > following the preferred books on Matthew?
        >
        > (1) 'A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew',
        > CS Keener, Eerdmans,1999.

        This work has a lot of Greek and rabbinic references that may or may not be
        relevant to the material in Matthew. It is a reworking of his earlier
        commentary (Keener, C. S. (1997). Matthew. Downers Grove, Ill., InterVarsity
        Press). Considering the price, I would advise budding Matthean scholars to
        bite the bullet and purchase the three volume set by Davies and Allison
        (Davies, W. D. and D. C. Allison, Jr. (1988, 1991, 1997). The Gospel
        According to Saint Matthew. Edinburgh, T. & T. Clark.) as the standard
        commentary from which to work.

        > (2) 'The Birth of the Messiah'. RE Brown,
        > Anchor.

        An excellent work for background material.

        > (3) 'Matthew, Anchor Vol 26', Eds CS Mann and
        > WF Fulbright

        There are better one volume commentaries that are more up to date (in
        alphabetical order, Gundry, R. H. (1982, 1994). Matthew: A Commentary on His
        Handbook of a Mixed Church under Persecution. Grand Rapids, Eerdmans;
        Morris, L. (1992). The Gospel according to Matthew. Grand Rapids, Eerdmans;
        Senior, D. (1998). Matthew. Nashville, Abingdon Press, to name a few).

        > (4) 'An Introduction to the NT', RE Brown.
        > Anchor Bible Ref Library.

        An excellent introduction.

        Hope this moves the discussion along.

        Keith

        R. Keith Whitt
        Clayton, NC

      • MillerJimE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
          Noel F. writes:
          << As I wish to study Matthew's Gospel would you
          like to recommend some books? Are the
          following the preferred books on Matthew? >>

          The three volume set by Davies & Allison is good to have and use, but it
          is terribly expensive. I would say, make sure your local library has the
          set. Let them spend that kind of money for you. As long as we are throwing
          money around, don't forget the massive commentary by Hans Dieter Betz on the
          Sermon on the Mount in the Hermeneia Series.
          Sometimes the smaller, older commentaries have interesting bits at much
          more affordable prices. Such as, JC Fenton, Saint Matthew, Pelican NT
          Commentaries. More recent is the one volume Church and Community in Crisis
          by J Andrew Overman.
          Finally, The Challenge of Jesus' Parables edited by Richard Longnecker,
          Eerdmans Publ, 1999 is an excellent resource.
          Jim Miller
        • Steve Black
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
            I have been enjoying Luz's commentary. (Minneapolis: Augsburg
            Fortress, 1989). It spends plenty time on the history of
            interpretation, which I find very interesting.
            Vancouver, BC
          • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
              Dear noel, I enclose a recent updating of Matthew. Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp

              At 04:29 AM 12/16/01 +0000, you wrote:
              >The following is a forward from new member Noel Fitzpatrick:
              >
              >As I wish to study Matthew's Gospel would you
              >like to recommend some books? Are the
              >following the preferred books on Matthew?
              >
              >(1) 'A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew',
              >CS Keener, Eerdmans,1999.
              >
              >(2) 'The Birth of the Messiah'. RE Brown,
              >Anchor.
              >
              >(3) 'Matthew, Anchor Vol 26', Eds CS Mann and
              >WF Fulbright
              >
              >(4) 'An Introduction to the NT', RE Brown.
              >Anchor Bible Ref Library.
              >
              >Congratulations on your initiative and I look
              >forward to the list.
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >Noel J Fitzpatrick.
              >**********************************
              >Noel Fitzpatrick
              >16 Granville Park
              >Blackrock
              >Co Dublin
              >Ireland

            • L. J. Swain
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
                Noel & Mary Fitzpatrick wrote:

                > I am very grateful to those who replied to my query about books
                > on Matthew's gospel.
                >
                > The following book has been brought to my attention "Matthew's
                > Gospel and the History of Biblical Interpretation", by Sean P
                > Kealy, Mellen Biblical Press Series, Vol 55A, 1997, list price
                > $109.95.

                Right, an important book for the purposes of this list, and done by one
                of our own moderators.