Re: All Nations in Matt 28:19

  • theswain
    Message 1 of 7 , May 21, 2002
      --- In ematthew@y..., "Munachi E. Ezeogu" <eezeogu@m...> wrote:
      > Thank you Sean and Travis for responding to my posting. Sean asked
      where I got the ideas from. I reply by offering one bibliographical
      reference for each of the 4 interpretations of "all nations" I
      mentioned. If you are aware of other material, do please let me know.
      Peace.
      <snip>

      > 3. That "all nations" refers to the Jewish Diaspora residing in
      different nations.
      > Cf. O'Brien, Peter. "The Great Commission of Matthew 28:16-20: A
      Missionary Mandate or Not?" Reformed Theological Review 35, no. 3
      (September-December 1976): 66-78

      > 4. That "all nations" refers to Gentiles living within the province
      of the Matthean community.
      > Cf. Minear, Paul S., The Good News according to Matthew: A Training
      Manual for Prophets. St Louis: Chalice, 2000. Reviewed by F. Scott
      Spencer in Review od Biblical Literature http://www.bookreviews.org

      Munachi,

      I would be interested in a brief outline of the arguments in support
      of #3 and #4 that you list here.

      Larry Swain
    • Munachi E. Ezeogu
      Message 2 of 7 , May 21, 2002
        Larry,

        I wish I have developed such a "brief outline" to share with you at the moment but I don't. That is precisely why I am asking list members for help in locating any relevant literature. As the thesis progresses I may have more material in support of those arguments (#3 and #4) but for now the bibliographical references I gave are about all I have. Thanks for your interest.

        Munachi Ezeogu.