All Nations in Matt 28:19

  • Munachi E. Ezeogu
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2002
      Dear Listers,

      I am researching on the Great Commission pericope (Matt 28:16-20) in view of a doctoral dissertation. Right now I am trying to assemble all available scholarly opinions regarding the reference of "all nations" in v. 19. So far I have been able to find four different interpretations.

      1. That "all nations" literally means all nations including the Jewish people.
      2. That "all nations" refers to Gentile nations and excludes the Jewish people.
      3. That "all nations" refers to the Jewish Diaspora residing in different nations, and that the command to make disciples of "all nations" was effectively fulfilled on Pentecost day when Jewish people from all nations were added to the faith.
      4. That "all nations" refers to Gentiles living within the province of the Matthean community.

      I have found ample literature on the first two positions. Where I need help at the moment is locating literature that support the #3 and #4 views. If you know any relevant literature, please let me know. Thanks for your help already.

      Munachi E. Ezeogu, PhD (Cand)
      Toronto School of Theology

    • Travis Stolz
      Message 2 of 7 , May 18, 2002
        Mr. Ezeogu,

        In the new ICC commentary on Mt by Davies and Allison, John P. Meier's
        article, "Nations or Gentiles in Matthew 28.19?" (Catholic Biblical
        Quarterly 39 [1977] 94-102), is cited in the discussion of panta ta ethne
        (3:684). Perhaps this might prove helpful?

        Cheers,
        The Rev. Travis D. Stolz

        > I am researching on the Great Commission pericope (Matt 28:16-20) in view
        of a doctoral dissertation. Right now I am trying to assemble all available
        scholarly opinions regarding the reference of "all nations" in v. 19. So far
        I have been able to find four different interpretations.

        > 1. That "all nations" literally means all nations including the Jewish
        people.
        > 2. That "all nations" refers to Gentile nations and excludes the Jewish
        people.
        > 3. That "all nations" refers to the Jewish Diaspora residing in different
        nations, and that the command to make disciples of "all nations" was
        effectively fulfilled on Pentecost day when Jewish people from all nations
        were added to the faith.
        > 4. That "all nations" refers to Gentiles living within the province of the
        Matthean community.

        > I have found ample literature on the first two positions. Where I need
        help at the moment is locating literature that support the #3 and #4 views.
        If you know any relevant literature, please let me know. Thanks for your
        help already.

        > Munachi E. Ezeogu, PhD (Cand)
        > Toronto School of Theology

      • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
        Message 3 of 7 , May 18, 2002
          Dear Munachi, I will be in Toronto about the 4th June so we can talk about
          the end of matthew. I am glad someone is tackling it. I never saw your four
          divisions before. Where did you get them.Until we meet. Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp.

          At 12:14 PM 5/17/02 -0400, you wrote:
          >Dear Listers,
          >
          >I am researching on the Great Commission pericope (Matt 28:16-20) in view of
          >a doctoral dissertation. Right now I am trying to assemble all available
          >scholarly opinions regarding the reference of "all nations" in v. 19. So far
          >I have been able to find four different interpretations.
          >
          >1. That "all nations" literally means all nations including the Jewish people.
          >2. That "all nations" refers to Gentile nations and excludes the Jewish
          >people.
          >3. That "all nations" refers to the Jewish Diaspora residing in different
          >nations, and that the command to make disciples of "all nations" was
          >effectively fulfilled on Pentecost day when Jewish people from all nations
          >were added to the faith.
          >4. That "all nations" refers to Gentiles living within the province of the
          >Matthean community.
          >
          >I have found ample literature on the first two positions. Where I need help
          >at the moment is locating literature that support the #3 and #4 views. If
          >you know any relevant literature, please let me know. Thanks for your help
          >already.
          >
          >Munachi E. Ezeogu, PhD (Cand)
          >Toronto School of Theology

        • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
          Message 4 of 7 , May 18, 2002
            At 07:55 PM 5/18/02 -0400, you wrote:
            >Dear Munachi, I will be in Toronto about the 4th June so we can talk about
            >the end of matthew. I am glad someone is tackling it. I never saw your four
            >divisions before. Where did you get them.Until we meet. Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp.
            >

            >At 12:14 PM 5/17/02 -0400, you wrote:
            >>Dear Listers,
            >>
            >>I am researching on the Great Commission pericope (Matt 28:16-20) in view of
            >>a doctoral dissertation. Right now I am trying to assemble all available
            >>scholarly opinions regarding the reference of "all nations" in v. 19. So far
            >>I have been able to find four different interpretations.
            >>
            >>1. That "all nations" literally means all nations including the Jewish
            people.
            >>2. That "all nations" refers to Gentile nations and excludes the Jewish
            >>people.
            >>3. That "all nations" refers to the Jewish Diaspora residing in different
            >>nations, and that the command to make disciples of "all nations" was
            >>effectively fulfilled on Pentecost day when Jewish people from all nations
            >>were added to the faith.
            >>4. That "all nations" refers to Gentiles living within the province of the
            >>Matthean community.
            >>
            >>I have found ample literature on the first two positions. Where I need help
            >>at the moment is locating literature that support the #3 and #4 views. If
            >>you know any relevant literature, please let me know. Thanks for your help
            >>already.
            >>
            >>Munachi E. Ezeogu, PhD (Cand)
            >>Toronto School of Theology

          • Munachi E. Ezeogu
            Message 5 of 7 , May 20, 2002
              Thank you Sean and Travis for responding to my posting. Sean asked where I got the ideas from. I reply by offering one bibliographical reference for each of the 4 interpretations of "all nations" I mentioned. If you are aware of other material, do please let me know. Peace.

              1. That "all nations" literally means all nations including the Jewish people.
              Cf. Meier, John P. "Nations or Gentiles in Matthew 28:19?" The Catholic Biblical Quarterly 39, no. 1 (January 1977): 94-102.

              2. That "all nations" refers to Gentile nations and excludes the Jewish people.
              Cf. Hare, Douglas R.A., and Harrington, Daniel J. "Make Disciples of All the Gentiles (Matthew 28:19)." The Catholic Biblical Quarterly 37 (1975): 359-69

              3. That "all nations" refers to the Jewish Diaspora residing in different nations.
              Cf. O'Brien, Peter. "The Great Commission of Matthew 28:16-20: A Missionary Mandate or Not?" Reformed Theological Review 35, no. 3 (September-December 1976): 66-78

              4. That "all nations" refers to Gentiles living within the province of the Matthean community.
              Cf. Minear, Paul S., The Good News according to Matthew: A Training Manual for Prophets. St Louis: Chalice, 2000. Reviewed by F. Scott Spencer in Review od Biblical Literature http://www.bookreviews.org

              Munachi E. Ezeogu
              Dear Munachi, I will be in Toronto about the 4th June so we can talk about
              the end of matthew. I am glad someone is tackling it. I never saw your four
              divisions before. Where did you get them.Until we meet. Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp.

              At 12:14 PM 5/17/02 -0400, you wrote:
              >Dear Listers,
              >
              >I am researching on the Great Commission pericope (Matt 28:16-20) in view of
              >a doctoral dissertation. Right now I am trying to assemble all available
              >scholarly opinions regarding the reference of "all nations" in v. 19. So far
              >I have been able to find four different interpretations.
              >
              >1. That "all nations" literally means all nations including the Jewish people.
              >2. That "all nations" refers to Gentile nations and excludes the Jewish
              >people.
              >3. That "all nations" refers to the Jewish Diaspora residing in different
              >nations, and that the command to make disciples of "all nations" was
              >effectively fulfilled on Pentecost day when Jewish people from all nations
              >were added to the faith.
              >4. That "all nations" refers to Gentiles living within the province of the
              >Matthean community.
              >
              >I have found ample literature on the first two positions. Where I need help
              >at the moment is locating literature that support the #3 and #4 views. If
              >you know any relevant literature, please let me know. Thanks for your help
              >already.
              >
              >Munachi E. Ezeogu, PhD (Cand)
              >Toronto School of Theology

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • theswain
              Message 6 of 7 , May 21, 2002
                --- In ematthew@y..., "Munachi E. Ezeogu" <eezeogu@m...> wrote:
                > Thank you Sean and Travis for responding to my posting. Sean asked
                where I got the ideas from. I reply by offering one bibliographical
                reference for each of the 4 interpretations of "all nations" I
                mentioned. If you are aware of other material, do please let me know.
                Peace.
                <snip>

                > 3. That "all nations" refers to the Jewish Diaspora residing in
                different nations.
                > Cf. O'Brien, Peter. "The Great Commission of Matthew 28:16-20: A
                Missionary Mandate or Not?" Reformed Theological Review 35, no. 3
                (September-December 1976): 66-78

                > 4. That "all nations" refers to Gentiles living within the province
                of the Matthean community.
                > Cf. Minear, Paul S., The Good News according to Matthew: A Training
                Manual for Prophets. St Louis: Chalice, 2000. Reviewed by F. Scott
                Spencer in Review od Biblical Literature http://www.bookreviews.org

                Munachi,

                I would be interested in a brief outline of the arguments in support
                of #3 and #4 that you list here.

                Larry Swain
              • Munachi E. Ezeogu
                Message 7 of 7 , May 21, 2002
                  Larry,

                  I wish I have developed such a "brief outline" to share with you at the moment but I don't. That is precisely why I am asking list members for help in locating any relevant literature. As the thesis progresses I may have more material in support of those arguments (#3 and #4) but for now the bibliographical references I gave are about all I have. Thanks for your interest.

                  Munachi Ezeogu.