Is Structure Important?

  • theswain
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2002
      Things have been quiet here of late, so I thought I would ask a
      question that involves not only ancient and medieval practices of
      composition and use, but some other issues as well. We all know that
      discussion of a structure of Matthew's gospel is problematic and that
      most schemes that have been proposed work for parts of the gospel, but
      not really the whole. So my question is somewhat twofold: a) what
      structure or structures are truly discernible in Matthew and how do
      they correspond to composition techniques and b) is the question of
      Matthean structure an important one at all?

      Larry Swain
      Western Michigan University