Bibliography continued.

  • Noel & Mary Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2001
      Some time ago I submitted queries to the list about a
      bibliography concerning St. Matthew's gospel. This topic
      has been a recent concern of mine and I appreciate the

      Currently I am reading "The Interpretation of Matthew"
      (edited by G N Stanton, T & T Clark,
      Edinburgh, 2nd Edition, 1995), which has a very good
      introduction by Graham Stanton.
      In it he points out that twenty years ago only three or four
      books could be considered essential to
      study St Matthew's gospel. However in 1995 he observed
      "it would now be difficult to select
      for a reading list the five most important books on
      Matthew".

      This book surveys some of the most important issues
      relating to Matthew's gospel considered
      in the 20th century .

      Among the references to studies of St. Matthew's gospel in
      this book are:

      W F Albright and C S Mann, "Matthew", Anchor Bible 26,
      New York, 1971.
      W C Allen, "A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the
      Gospel According to St Matthew",
      ICC, 3rd ed., Edinburgh, 1912.
      F W Beare, "The Gospel According to Matthew", San
      Francisco/Oxford, 1981.
      P. Benoit, "L'Evangile selon S. Matthieu", 4th ed., Paris,
      1972.
      W D Davies and D C Allison , "A Critical and Exegetical
      Commentary on the Gospel
      according to St Matthew",ICC, Edinburgh, I 1988, II 1991.
      F. V. Filson, "A Commentary on the Gospel according to St.
      Matthew, London, 1960.
      H B Green, "The Gospel according to Matthew", New
      Clarendon Bible, Oxford, 1975.
      D A Hagner, "Matthew", Word Vols 33A and B, Waco,
      1993 and 1994.
      D. Patte, "The Gospel according to Matthew", Philadelphia,
      1987.

      The more recent book edited by D E Aune "The Gospel of
      Matthew in Current Study" (Eerdmans, 2001) is of interest
      in bringing studies of Matthew up to date. This book has
      contributions from R S Ascough, W Cotter, D J Harrington,
      J D Kingsbury, D Senior, G N Stanton etc. It is considered
      by the publishers to be "an excellent introduction to
      contemporary Matthaean studies". Thus from these two
      books, edited by Stanton and Aune respectively, it is now
      perhaps possible to get an overview of studies on
      Matthew's gospel being pursued at the present time.

      The web site http://www.spckonline.com/ and links from it
      gives information about current books on Matthew's gospel.
      Thus from this site by clicking "commentaries" and then
      "academic commentary series" one gets an interesting list
      of commentaries. Details of these can be found using the
      "full search" option. References, some updates of those
      given previously, found using the SPCK site include:

      W C Allen, "St. Matthew", Continuum/T & T Clark, 2000.
      T F Dailey, "Bibliographies for Biblical Research, Vol 1,
      The Gospel of Mathew", Mellen, 1998.
      W D Davies and D C Allison, "Matthew 19-28", Vol 3,
      Continuum/T & T Clark, 1997.
      F V Filson, "NTC The Gospel according to St Matthew".
      Continuum/Black, 1971.
      D J Harrington, "The Gospel of Matthew, Sacra Pagina",
      Glazier.
      C S Keener, "Matthew", Eerdmans 1999. (This is
      considered by SPCK as "probably the finest serious
      commentary of Matthew in print").
      C S Kraszewski, "The Gospel of Matthew with Patristic
      Commentaries", Mellen, 1999.
      U Luz, "Matthew 1-7", Continuum/T & T Clark, 1990.
      J Riches, "Matthew", Continuum/Sheffield Ac. Press, 1996.
      G Stanton, ."The Interpretation of Matthew", Continuum/T
      & T Clark, 1994.

      Some details about these books are obtainable from links to
      http://www.amazon.com

      However as many of these are not familiar to me I would
      appreciate hearing from subscribers to the list who have
      read them. Some subscribers have already referred to a
      number of these in the list.

      Regards and season's greetings.

      Noel J Fitzpatrick.

      **********************************
      Noel Fitzpatrick
      16 Granville Park
      Blackrock
      Co Dublin
      Ireland

      Phone: 353 1 2893851

      **********************************
    • Edward Condry
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2001
        Two I would add to this list would be Luz's The Theology the gospel of
        Matthew (Cambridge) and Margaret Davies' Matthew (JSOT Press)

        Ed Condry,
        The Rectory,
        Church S, Rugby, UK

      • KWhitt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 27, 2001
          An excellent article that overviews many of the pertinent Matthean studies is
          Anderson, J. C. (1995). "Life on the Mississippi: New Currents in Matthean
          Scholarship 1983-1993." Currents in Research: Biblical Studies 3: 169-218.

          As the title aludes, the article examines the trends in Matthean scholarship,
          especially in terms of critical and reading approaches. It includes a
          bibliography of material pertinent to understanding the various approaches in
          dialogue with Mt.

          The newer work by Aune (Aune, D. E., Ed. (2001). The Gospel of Matthew in
          Current Study: Essays in Honor of William Thompson, S. J. Grand Rapids,
          Eerdmans) to which Fitzpatrick refers does have several important articles
          addressing fairly current work. A review is forthcoming soon at the online
          version of RBL.

          Keith Whitt
          Clayton, NC

          In a message dated 12/27/2001 12:09:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          StAndrew.Rugby@... writes:

          > Two I would add to this list would be Luz's The Theology the gospel of
          > Matthew (Cambridge) and Margaret Davies' Matthew (JSOT Press)
          >
          > Ed Condry,
          > The Rectory,
          > Church S, Rugby, UK

          R. Keith Whitt West Clayton Church of God
          POB 1331 1008 S. Lombard Street
          Clayton, NC 27520-1331 Clayton, NC 27520
          (919) 550-0721 (919) 553-4332
          KWhitt@... pastor@...
          www.wccg.org