preference in the Early Church for Matthew over Luke

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2009
      Would it be true to say that Matthew's Gospel seems to have been
      preferred from early on in the Church's history over Luke's as the
      source from which Jesus' teaching on any subject would be drawn?

      If so, *why *was this the case?

      And where in EC Father's writings might the evidence that it is the case
      be found?

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

    • jason hood
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2009
        Jeffery, YES (but not just Luke, mind you--Mark and John etc. as well).

        Causal factors? Probably the early interest in ethics/morals (viz. christology) and the didactic utility of the Five Sermons (esp the Sermon on the Mount).

        Evidence is found in Matt's placement in the Gospel canon (you can find alternative lists of Gospel order in P.-M. Bogaert, "Ordres Ancienes Des �vangiles et T�tra�vangile en un Seul Codex," Revue Theologique de Louvain 30 [1999]: 297�314; there are not many), lists of uses in everything from Clement (rome) to Didache, Irenaeus, Origen, etc.

        http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_012009

      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 23, 2009

          > Jeffery, YES (but not just Luke, mind you--Mark and John etc. as well).
          >
          > Causal factors? Probably the early interest in ethics/morals (viz.
          > christology) and the didactic utility of the Five Sermons (esp the
          > Sermon on the Mount).
          >
          > Evidence is found in Matt's placement in the Gospel canon (you can
          > find alternative lists of Gospel order in P.-M. Bogaert, "Ordres
          > Ancienes Des Évangiles et Tétraévangile en un Seul Codex," Revue
          > Theologique de Louvain 30 [1999]: 297–314; there are not many),
          > lists of uses in everything from Clement (rome) to Didache,
          > Irenaeus, Origen, etc.

          In addition, one might look at the commentaries and sermons on Matthean texts in comparison to the other 3, particularly Luke. And I believe, though not as scholarly as Bogaert, Peter Kirby's E-Catena is back up at the Early Christian Writings site where he culls the early church writers for their uses of NT texts.

          In terms of causal factors, distribution, belief that it was the first gospel, belief that it was written by one of the disciples and not a second generation writer (important esp. in light of John's lateness and acceptance among early gnostics), and association with a church community or communities in the "east", where it all started.