Re: [ematthew] Ignoring Patristic exegesis of the Lord's Prayer

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2008
      Larry Swain wrote:
      > Following up on Jim's comments, one of the values of early commentaries is that they share a cultural world with the contexts in which the Lord's Prayer is found, a world we do not share.
      I appreciate the thrust of this comment, but I have my doubts about its
      truth. Is Tertullian's cultural world really the same cultural world in
      which the LP originated? Is the context of the way he thought about God
      and the Messiah or prayer really that of Jews in 1st century Palestine
      -- let alone that which informs of Matthew's and Luke's view of these
      things?

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
        Let's try this again.
        Unfortunately, we do not have the original Aramaic (assuming it
        existed). So there is a difficulty in doing exegesis on that original, which is what
        the Jewish Messiah taught his audiences. What we have is the prayer in
        Greek form, which is the form in which it was disseminated to most 1st century
        churches. Those churches, and the author of Luke, and probably the author of
        Matthew, knew this prayer only in Greek.
        Tertullian had Latin for his 1st language, but other early commentators
        had Greek as their 1st language. And they, along with Tertullian, commented
        on the prayer within the Roman Empire prior to its conversion to a
        church-friendly government. That context is valuable to the commentator.
        Jim Miller