Re: [ematthew] Ignoring Patristic exegesis of the Lord's Prayer

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2008
      Following up on Jim's comments, one of the values of early commentaries is that they share a cultural world with the contexts in which the Lord's Prayer is found, a world we do not share. So while their aims are not our aims, applying the same sort of critical techniques to their understanding of the text may yield a further contextualization for the Lord's Prayer in modern terms.

      Powered by Outblaze
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2008
        Larry Swain wrote:
        > Following up on Jim's comments, one of the values of early commentaries is that they share a cultural world with the contexts in which the Lord's Prayer is found, a world we do not share.
        I appreciate the thrust of this comment, but I have my doubts about its
        truth. Is Tertullian's cultural world really the same cultural world in
        which the LP originated? Is the context of the way he thought about God
        and the Messiah or prayer really that of Jews in 1st century Palestine
        -- let alone that which informs of Matthew's and Luke's view of these
        things?

        Jeffrey

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
          Let's try this again.
          Unfortunately, we do not have the original Aramaic (assuming it
          existed). So there is a difficulty in doing exegesis on that original, which is what
          the Jewish Messiah taught his audiences. What we have is the prayer in
          Greek form, which is the form in which it was disseminated to most 1st century
          churches. Those churches, and the author of Luke, and probably the author of
          Matthew, knew this prayer only in Greek.
          Tertullian had Latin for his 1st language, but other early commentators
          had Greek as their 1st language. And they, along with Tertullian, commented
          on the prayer within the Roman Empire prior to its conversion to a
          church-friendly government. That context is valuable to the commentator.
          Jim Miller