Is Matthew Jewish?

  • Chris Weimer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21 12:53 AM
      I've been working on a paper discussing whether Matthew is Jewish or
      Christian. I can't release it just yet, for prudent reasons, but I do
      deal with some of the subject matter (for matter I accidentally wrote
      matthew!).

      I first formulated the idea here: http://neonostalgia.com/weblog/?p=13
      back in July 05, with rather rough ideas. They've slowly become
      smoother as I've started actually writing the paper.

      At one point, Phil Harland wrote a blogpost about how Matthew was very
      Jewish, which I decided to respond to here:
      http://neonostalgia.com/weblog/?p=55 just a little over a month ago.
      Hint - I use actual arguments (though worded differently) from my
      paper to rebut Phil's. Given that I couldn't release everything at
      once, I doubt many became convinced. But that's ok, I can wait until I
      actually release my paper.

      Until then, though, I still posts small snippets of my thoughts. Most
      recently (actually, the only one since the post above) I ruminate on
      an idea here: http://neonostalgia.com/weblog/?p=67 which is probably
      the longest yet on the subject.

      I would appreciate any sort of critique or general direction. My paper
      specifically needs more research/references in the area of early
      Judaism at the end of the 1st century CE before and after the fall of
      the 2nd Temple. I would greatly appreciate the help and comments.

      best regards,

      Chris Weimer
      http://neonostalgia.com
    • derfttol63
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2013
        I think Matthew is Jewish as he did his work in Hebrew and not Greek