Re: [ematthew] Re: [XTalk] Re recent Damato email concerning Jeffery Gibson and X-talk.

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2005
      But the issue is less about Jeffrey's posts and more about Jeffrey's moderation of the lists he owns in conjunction with those on the list boards. I can't speak for your specific situation, Matthew, but from my observation and experience Jeffrey has been even handed in his moderating and only takes action when the posts or poster are getting out of hand or are displaying a level of ignorance of the field. I'm not saying this happened with your posts on X-Talk, I can't speak to that, but I can name several instances where this has occurred.

      While I think Jeffrey (and frankly I share this trait) can sometimes be combative in his replies, I do not think he has ever been out of line in his posts: condescending (sorry mate) sometimes, sure, but he certainly isn't the only one to engage in that and at least in my view there is justification for it; argumentitive certainly, but again, certainly not the only one, and some justification for it--particularly when as in this case a non-professional in the field will not heed the information and arguments of several professionals correcting the posts. Again, I'm not saying that this applies to your situation. There is a rather significant difference between being argumentitive with reason, knowledge, logic, and expertise to back one up, on the one hand, and having emotional pronouncements not backed up with anything and displaying a key misunderstanding of the texts and the world from which those texts come: and therein lies the difference between Jeffrey's argumentitive posts and in this particular case D'Amato's. IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE. I hope that both you and Dr. D'Amato continue to post to X-talk and E-Matthew and other lists, in spite of recent misgivings and bad feeling.