Re: [ematthew] going fishin'

  • mike carrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
      You open the door to the meaning of the net. In Matthew's gospel immediately after Jesus calls Peter and Andrew and James and John, they leave their 'nets for catching fish' and follow him. Jesus is going to give them 'nets for catching men'. The first thing that Jesus does with these new 'fishermen' is teach them the beatitudes and tell them in like manner, they are to let their 'light shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.' Obviously, the net that his new fishermen will use is the word of God. Since the four gospels are intimately bound together, the ending of John's gospel, for example, has the 'seven' using the word of God to catch the gentiles on the 'right' side of the lake.' Isn't it cool that Peter, here too, drags the gentiles up out of the waters (of baptism) and brings them to the 'breaking of bread' on the beach!
      Michael Carrell
      e-mail: mikeandrewcarrell@...
      web: www.the150parables.com