Re: [ematthew] going fishin'

  • mike carrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
      You open the door to the meaning of the net. In Matthew's gospel immediately after Jesus calls Peter and Andrew and James and John, they leave their 'nets for catching fish' and follow him. Jesus is going to give them 'nets for catching men'. The first thing that Jesus does with these new 'fishermen' is teach them the beatitudes and tell them in like manner, they are to let their 'light shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.' Obviously, the net that his new fishermen will use is the word of God. Since the four gospels are intimately bound together, the ending of John's gospel, for example, has the 'seven' using the word of God to catch the gentiles on the 'right' side of the lake.' Isn't it cool that Peter, here too, drags the gentiles up out of the waters (of baptism) and brings them to the 'breaking of bread' on the beach!
      Michael Carrell
      e-mail: mikeandrewcarrell@...
      web: www.the150parables.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
        As someone familiar with life in a fishing community, I do not see a
        conflict in Matt 17:24-27 re. fishing with a hook. Fishing with a net or
        with a hook are practised alternatively in fishing communities as the
        occasion demands. The bible know about net fishing as well as hook fishing
        (Job 41:1-2).

        There are huge differences between net- and hook fishing. The former is done
        by a group of fishermen and the latter by an individual fisherman. The
        former usually demand the use of a boat, the latter not necessarily. The
        former is normal for professional fishermen who make a living out of the
        trade, the latter for occasional fishermen who may need a fish or two for
        supper.

        Given these difference, I think that hook fishing is more appropriate in the
        context of the story that net fishing. Peter is no longer a professional but
        an occasional fisherman. He is fishing alone and not with a group of
        fishermen. And all that he needs for is one fish. It would be out of place
        to use a fishing net here.

        As for the allegorizing or moralizing interpretations one may give to
        aspects of the story, some of them may be homiletically appealing, but we
        should be careful not to make a story about payment of the temple tax into a
        story of evangelism.

        Ernest M. Ezeogu.