going fishin'

  • mikeandrewcarrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
      I think you will enjoy this.

      I was just reading Matthew 17:24-27 on the temple tax. After all these years of
      being dumbfounded, it's nice to finally understand what the author intended!
      And it is beautiful.

      It's easy for us to understand that Jesus isn't expected to pay for his "Father's
      house," so he is exempt from the Temple tax. So, what could he give in its
      place?

      Remembering that Peter is no longer a fisherman for fish, think about this:

      Peter is told to cast a "hook" and take up the "first fish" that comes up. Let's
      understand it this way…knowing that Peter is going fishing for men, he shares
      Jesus' words to "hook" that man. And after sharing the Word, the person he
      draws up out of the water is now a newly baptized man. Since this man is
      newly baptized that which comes forth from the man's mouth, is led by the
      Spirit. The "coin," an offering due for the Father's house that comes forth from
      the man's mouth, is the glorious praise of God. This glorious praise of God is
      what Jesus desires to give to his Father. "…We give to God what is God's."

      Blessings,

      Mike Carrell
      http://www.the150parables.com/
    • MillerJimE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
        >> Remembering that Peter is no longer a fisherman for fish, think about this:

        Peter is told to cast a "hook" and take up the "first fish" that comes up. <<
        I have always found odd one aspect of this story (Matt 17:24-27).
        Anywhere else in the gospels fishing was done with a net and the catch was a
        plurality of fish. Only in this story is fishing for the purpose of getting a single
        fish, caught with a hook (ankistron).
        Of course the story calls for a single fish to provide a single coin.
        But the commentaries I checked did not delve into this aspect of the story. Was
        this singularity as unremarkable to the author/editor of Matthew as it seems
        to be to the commentators? Was it mentioned only for the purpose of having
        the narrative come up with a single coin? Or did it have a more substantial
        role, as possibly hinted in the preceding post? Does Jesus have Peter catch fish
        in an unusual way to call attention to the miracle, or the meaning of the
        miracle?
        Any thoughts?
        Jim Miller

      • mike carrell
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
          You open the door to the meaning of the net. In Matthew's gospel immediately after Jesus calls Peter and Andrew and James and John, they leave their 'nets for catching fish' and follow him. Jesus is going to give them 'nets for catching men'. The first thing that Jesus does with these new 'fishermen' is teach them the beatitudes and tell them in like manner, they are to let their 'light shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.' Obviously, the net that his new fishermen will use is the word of God. Since the four gospels are intimately bound together, the ending of John's gospel, for example, has the 'seven' using the word of God to catch the gentiles on the 'right' side of the lake.' Isn't it cool that Peter, here too, drags the gentiles up out of the waters (of baptism) and brings them to the 'breaking of bread' on the beach!
          Michael Carrell
          e-mail: mikeandrewcarrell@...
          web: www.the150parables.com
          >> Remembering that Peter is no longer a fisherman for fish, think about this:

          Peter is told to cast a "hook" and take up the "first fish" that comes up. <<
          I have always found odd one aspect of this story (Matt 17:24-27).
          Anywhere else in the gospels fishing was done with a net and the catch was a
          plurality of fish. Only in this story is fishing for the purpose of getting a single
          fish, caught with a hook (ankistron).
          Of course the story calls for a single fish to provide a single coin.
          But the commentaries I checked did not delve into this aspect of the story. Was
          this singularity as unremarkable to the author/editor of Matthew as it seems
          to be to the commentators? Was it mentioned only for the purpose of having
          the narrative come up with a single coin? Or did it have a more substantial
          role, as possibly hinted in the preceding post? Does Jesus have Peter catch fish
          in an unusual way to call attention to the miracle, or the meaning of the
          miracle?
          Any thoughts?
          Jim Miller

          Bible study tool Christian bible study Online bible study

        • Ernest M. Ezeogu
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
            As someone familiar with life in a fishing community, I do not see a
            conflict in Matt 17:24-27 re. fishing with a hook. Fishing with a net or
            with a hook are practised alternatively in fishing communities as the
            occasion demands. The bible know about net fishing as well as hook fishing
            (Job 41:1-2).

            There are huge differences between net- and hook fishing. The former is done
            by a group of fishermen and the latter by an individual fisherman. The
            former usually demand the use of a boat, the latter not necessarily. The
            former is normal for professional fishermen who make a living out of the
            trade, the latter for occasional fishermen who may need a fish or two for
            supper.

            Given these difference, I think that hook fishing is more appropriate in the
            context of the story that net fishing. Peter is no longer a professional but
            an occasional fisherman. He is fishing alone and not with a group of
            fishermen. And all that he needs for is one fish. It would be out of place
            to use a fishing net here.

            As for the allegorizing or moralizing interpretations one may give to
            aspects of the story, some of them may be homiletically appealing, but we
            should be careful not to make a story about payment of the temple tax into a
            story of evangelism.

            Ernest M. Ezeogu.