RE: [ematthew] Digest Number 93

  • R. Keith Whitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
      Ekaputra:

      I have Schweizer's article at my office. If no one has sent it to you
      already, let me know and I will send it to you on Tuesday. Also, you may
      want to look at: Blaine Charette's work (Restoring Presence: The Spirit in
      Matthew's Gospel. Sheffield, Sheffield Academic Press, 2000). If you do not
      have access to this work, please let me know and I will send you my review
      notes.

      As for your second question, Scot McKnight ("Matthew, Gospel of." In
      Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, Joel B. Green, Scot McKnight and I.
      Howard Marshall, eds., 526-541. Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity
      Press, 1992.) offers this assessment:

      1. An inclusio is formed by 4:23 and 9:35.
      "Furthermore, the essential unity of the first major section, 4:12-11:1, is
      seen in that the last element of 4:23 and 9:35 is then used for describing
      what the disciples are to do -- heal every sickness and disease (cf. 10:1).
      In addition, Jesus' ministry of healing and casting out demons in 8:1-9:34
      is then commanded of the disciples in 10:8. What needs to be noted here is
      that the missionary commands of Matthew (10:8) are much more complete than
      either Mark (6:7) or Luke (9:1-2), and the commands of Matthew are clearly a
      repetition of what Jesus has done previously" (p. 531).
      2. Matthew 4:12-11:1 reveals the ministry of Jesus and confronts the
      reader with a decision to do likewise as a disciple.

      Further, Eric Eve has examined the Jewish background of Jesus' charismatic
      ministry (The Jewish Context of Jesus' Miracles) and I have attached the RBL
      review for you.

      Hope this helps.

      Keith

      R. Keith Whitt
      POB 4143
      Cleveland, TN 37320
      (423) 473-0329
      (423) 593-2351

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:59:01 -0700
      From: Ekaputra Tupamahu <ekaputrat@...>
      Subject: Matthew and Charismatic Activities

      Hi All-

      I am working on a research of the Matthean Community and Charismatic
      activities, such as healing, prophecy, glossolalia, etc. I really
      need this article:

      Edward Schweizer, "Observance of the Law and Charismatic Activity in
      Matthew," New Testament Studies 16 (1969-70): 213-30.

      If someone can send me a copy of it, i am very grateful for that. I also
      want to ask your opinion on this topic. When Matthew mentioned about the
      charismatic activities in 7:15-23, i believe that perhaps Matthew was
      refering to a common practice in the church at that time.
      But I am wandering, in the time of Jesus, were the charismatic activities,
      such as exorcism, healing, prophecy, glossolalia, etc., common practices
      among Jews in Palestine? We, of course, have a strong indication of the
      charismatic activities in the book of Acts and 1 Corinthians. But i am
      still struggling with the question whether Jesus and Jews in Palestine
      pre-pentecost (Acts 2) were familiar with those charismatic activities.

      What do you all think about this?

      Best Wishes,
      Ekaputra Tupamahu, MA
      Asia Pacific Theological Seminary
      444 Ambuklao Rd.
      Baguio City - 2600
      Philippines

    • Ekaputra Tupamahu
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005
        Keith,

        Thank you for your reply. I really need Schweizer's article because
        it deals with Matthean community and charismatic activities. In our
        library here, we subscribe New Testament Studies, but it is only from
        1974. Schweizer's article is too old (1969-1970). I do also have
        access to ATLAS, unfortunately ATLAS does not have New Testament
        Studies. So, i am quite desperate to have it. Once again, thank you
        very much for your willingness to send that article to me. I really
        appreciate it.

        Correct me if i am wrong, it seems like there are not many studies
        have been done on Matthean charismatic theology. In fact, James
        Martin in his article, "The Church in Matthew," Interpretation 29
        (January 1975): 41-56, shows that one of the most important
        characteristics of the church in Matthean's ecclesiology is the
        charismatic ministry. This is quite an old article already (1975). I
        am so glad because, as you showed me, Blaine Charette recently has
        done an exhaustive study on it. I think i have to take a look at that
        book.

        Your inputs and suggestions are absolutely helpful.

        Best wishes,
        Ekaputra Tupamahu
        Asia Pacific Theological Seminary
        444 Ambuklao Road
        Baguio City - Philippines

      • Ernest Munachi Ezeogu
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2005
          Hello All,

          Does anyone have an idea when in the course of the history of the Christian
          church the last paragraph of Matthew's gospel began to be referred to as
          "the Great Commission?" As late as two centuries ago, William Carey
          (1761-1834), the reputed Father of the world missionary movement, seems not
          to know the terminology. I would welcome any references to books and
          articles as well as your informed personal opinions. Thanks.

          Ernest M. Ezeogu PhD
          Toronto School of Theology