Matthew and Charismatic Activities

  • Ekaputra Tupamahu
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 2:59 PM
      Hi All-

      I am working on a research of the Matthean Community and Charismatic
      activities, such as healing, prophecy, glossolalia, etc. I really
      need this article:

      Edward Schweizer, "Observance of the Law and Charismatic Activity in
      Matthew," New Testament Studies 16 (1969-70): 213-30.

      If someone can send me a copy of it, i am very grateful for that. I
      also want to ask your opinion on this topic. When Matthew mentioned
      about the charismatic activities in 7:15-23, i believe that perhaps
      Matthew was refering to a common practice in the church at that time.
      But I am wandering, in the time of Jesus, were the charismatic
      activities, such as exorcism, healing, prophecy, glossolalia, etc.,
      common practices among Jews in Palestine? We, of course, have a
      strong indication of the charismatic activities in the book of Acts
      and 1 Corinthians. But i am still struggling with the question
      whether Jesus and Jews in Palestine pre-pentecost (Acts 2) were
      familiar with those charismatic activities.

      What do you all think about this?

      Best Wishes,
      Ekaputra Tupamahu, MA
      Asia Pacific Theological Seminary