Re: [ematthew] streeter and matthean apocalyptic

  • Daniel Gurtner
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2005
      I'm sorry that I don't know the immediate answer to your question. However, it may be found in some of the following sources for apocalyptic work in Matthew. I hope this helps:

      O. Lamar Cope, ��To the Close of the Age�: The Role of Apocalyptic Thought in the Gospel of Matthew.� Pages 113-24 in Apocalyptic and the New Testament: Essays in Honour of J. Louis Martyn Journal for the Study of the New Testament Supplement Series 24. Edited by J. Marcus and M. L. Soards. Sheffield: Aacademic Press, 1989.

      Hagner, D. A. �Apocalyptic Motifs in the Gospel of Matthew: Continuity and Discontinuity.� Horizons in Biblical Theology 7 (1985): 53-82.

      Orton, D. E. The Understanding Scribe: Matthew and the Apocalyptic Ideal. Journal for the Study of the New Testament Supplement Series 25. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1989.

      Rowland, Christopher. �Apocalyptic, the Poor, and the Gospel of Matthew.� Journal of Theological Studies 45 (1994): 504-18.

      Sabourin, Leopold. �Apocalyptic Traits in Matthew�s Gospel.� Religious Studies Bulletin 3 (1983): 19-36.

      Jacob Knee <zen20458@...> wrote:
      I'm looking at the history of interpretation of the apocalyptic elements in
      the Gospel of Matthew.

      Both David Sim and Kathleen Weber's 1994 thesis (Events of the End of the
      Age) identify Streeter as the first scholar to claim there is a heightened
      apocalyptic concern in Matthew (compared with Mark and Q).

      I too haven't been able to find any earlier scholar who made this claim but
      any wonder if anyone else knows better?

      Best wishes,

      Jacob Knee

      (Cam, Glos.)

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Daniel M. Gurtner
      Ph.D. (Candidate), University of St Andrews (Scotland)
      Visiting Research Scholar, Tyndale House, Cambridge (England)

      Flat 7, 36 Selwyn Gardens
      Cambridge CB3 9BA
      England
      www.geocities.com/dgurtner