RE: [ematthew] Upcoming SBL II

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
      The last message had a lot of stuff in it that wasn't what I intended to send--I apparently cut and paste a lot more than I wanted. So here again is hopefully a more useful listing.

> [...]

      > Cleansing in Luke-Acts (30 min)
      >

      > ----------
      > S21-21
      > ----------
      > Matthew
      > 11/21/2004
      > 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM
      > Room: Salon G - Marriott Rivercenter
      > Theme: Matthean Jewish Intertexts and Contexts
      >
      > Dorothy Jean Weaver, Eastern Mennonite University, Presiding
      > Herbert W. Basser, Queens University
      > "Son of David," Matthew 21:9 (30 min)
      > David Bivin, Jerusalem School of Synoptic Research
      > Jesus' Petros-petra Wordplay (Matthew 16:18): Can Christian Texts Be
      > Read as Midrash? (30 min)
      > David M. Moffitt, Duke University
      > Innocent Bloodshed and the Temple's Doom: Matthew's Allusive Use of
      > Lamentations (30 min)
      > Tim Wardle, Duke University
      > Resurrection and the Holy City: The Isaianic Background of Matthew
      > 27.51–53 (30 min)
      > Ben Witherington, Asbury Theological Seminary
      > Neither Law nor Gospel but Wisdom: Rethinking the Sermon on the Mount
      > (30 min)

      > ----------
      >

      > S22-17
      > ----------
      > Matthew
      > 11/22/2004
      > 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM
      > Room: Room #216A - San Antonio Convention Center
      > Theme: Session 2 - The Matthean Community
      >
      > Jeannine Brown, Bethel Seminary, Presiding
      > Aaron M. Gale, West Virginia University
      > Heroes or Hypocrites? The Role of Jewish Scribes in Matthew's Gospel
      > (30 min)
      > Daniel W. Ulrich, Bethany Theological Seminary
      > Worthy Hosts and Guests with a Gospel: A Social Context for Reading
      > Matthew (30 min)
      > Mary Kay Dobrovolny, Vanderbilt University
      > Who Controls the Resources? Economics and Justice in Matthew 20:1–15
      > (30 min)
      > Anders Runesson, McMaster University
      > Divine Judgment in the First Gospel and the Religio-Ethnic Identity
      > of the Matthean Community (30 min)
      > Craig S. Keener, Eastern Seminary
      > "Offspring of Vipers" (Matthew 3:7) (30 min)

      > 11/22/2004
      > 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM
      > Room: Room #212A - San Antonio Convention Center
      > Theme: The Kingdom of God and Q
      >
      > Ronald A. Piper, University of St. Andrews, Presiding (5 min)
      > Linden Youngquist, California State University, Long Beach
      > The Kingdom in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Q (20 min)
      > Joseph Verheyden, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
      > Who is Violating God's Kingdom/Kingship? Q 16,16 and Matthew's and
      > Luke's Struggle with Q Polemics (20 min)
      > Discussion (10 min)
      > Break (5 min)
      > Shelly Matthews, Furman University
      > A House Divided? Family in Q's Kingdom (20 min)
      > Melanie Johnson-DeBaufre, Luther College
      > A Divided Kingdom Falls: Polemics of Solidarity in Q (20 min)
      > Halvor Moxnes, University of Oslo
      > Exorcisms and Power over Place in Q 11:14–23 (20 min)

      From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

      Powered by Outblaze
    • Jacob Knee
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
        There's also the paper below that may be of interest:

        S21-101
        ----
        Ancient Fiction and Early Christian and Jewish Narrative
        11/21/2004
        4:00 PM to 6:30 PM
        Room: Room #211 - San Antonio Convention Center
        Theme: Social Reality and Ancient Narratives

        Robert Cousland, University of British Columbia
        The Social Context of the Matthean Chorus (30 min)

        Best wishes,
        Jacob Knee
        (Cam, Glos.)

        The last message had a lot of stuff in it that wasn't what I intended to
        send--I apparently cut and paste a lot more than I wanted. So here again is
        hopefully a more useful listing.

        > http://www.sbl-site.org/PDF/Dobrovolny_Matthew.pdf
        >
        > http://www.sbl-site.org/congresses/Basser_Matthew.pdf
        >
        > http://www.sbl-site.org/PDF/Basser_Midrash.pdf
        >
        > S20-60
        [snip]
      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2004
          At 11:02 PM 11/7/2004 +0100, Larry Swain wrote:
          >> New Testament Textual Criticism
          >> 11/20/2004
          >> 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
          >> Room: Room #214B - San Antonio Convention Center
          >>
          >> More on Pseudo-agreements among 'Western' Witnesses (30 min)
          >> Sylvie T. Raquel, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
          >> The Text of the Gospel of Matthew in the Writings of Origen (30 min)
          >> Stephen C. Carlson, Fairfax, VA

          Actually, my paper is titled "The Origin(s) of the 'Caesarean' Text".
          I believe Sylvie Raquel is doing the paper on the text of Matthew in
          Origen (and Pete Williams on the Pseudo-Agreements).

          Stephen
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2004

            > At 11:02 PM 11/7/2004 +0100, Larry Swain wrote:
            > >> New Testament Textual Criticism
            > >> 11/20/2004
            > >> 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
            > >> Room: Room #214B - San Antonio Convention Center
            > >>
            > >> More on Pseudo-agreements among 'Western' Witnesses (30 min)
            > >> Sylvie T. Raquel, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
            > >> The Text of the Gospel of Matthew in the Writings of Origen (30 min)
            > >> Stephen C. Carlson, Fairfax, VA
            >
            > Actually, my paper is titled "The Origin(s) of the 'Caesarean' Text".
            > I believe Sylvie Raquel is doing the paper on the text of Matthew in
            > Origen (and Pete Williams on the Pseudo-Agreements).
            >
            > Stephen

            Hi Stephen,

            I thought I had read on a listserv somewhere else that you were doing something on the Caesarean text, so was a little surprised at this. Here is the session as it appears in the Online Program from SBL:

            S20-62
            New Testament Textual Criticism
            11/20/2004
            1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
            Room: Room #214B - San Antonio Convention Center
            John Brogan, Northwestern College, Presiding
            Jennifer Knust, College of the Holy Cross
            Early Christian Rewriting and the History of the Pericope Adulterae (30 min)
            P. J. Williams, University of Aberdeen
            More on Pseudo-agreements among 'Western' Witnesses (30 min)
            Sylvie T. Raquel, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
            The Text of the Gospel of Matthew in the Writings of Origen (30 min)
            Stephen C. Carlson, Fairfax, VA
            The Origin(s) of the "Caesarean" Text (30 min)
            Wayne C. Kannaday, Newberry College
            All's Well That Ends Well: An Examination of the Possible Influence of Apologetic Interests on the Endings of Mark's Gospel (30 min)

            So I apparently I cut off my cut and paste too soon? Sorry about that....
            From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.