"Paul's Thoughts As Source"

  • Dennis H White
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20 7:17 PM
      Gentlemen:

      Are there any scholarly works
      that have attempted to demonstrate
      that ACCORDING TO MATTHEW
      was influenced by Paul, either
      directly, or indirectly? If so, could
      someone suggest some works
      that treat this subject extensively?
      I am only interested in works that may have treated Paul as a possible source, among
      others, for ACCORDING TO MATTHEW.
      I am not interested in works that make
      a passing comment. Possibly someone
      on this list knows of some work or works
      along this line.

      Thank you!

      Dennis H. White
      Eureka, South Dakota
      Retired, but no loss of interest.

    • paeddler
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
        --- In ematthew@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis H White" <dwhite@v...> wrote:
        > Gentlemen:
        >
        > Are there any scholarly works
        > that have attempted to demonstrate
        > that ACCORDING TO MATTHEW
        > was influenced by Paul, either
        > directly, or indirectly? If so, could
        > someone suggest some works
        > that treat this subject extensively?

        Donald H. Akenson's Saint Saul: A Skeleton Key to the Historical
        Jesus (Oxford, 2000) certainly makes more than a passing reference to
        this issue, although it is not his central concern. i have found it
        a highly thoughtful and thought-provoking book by a very careful and
        convincing scholar.

        for ematthew readers, perhaps his discussion concerning the priority
        of according to matthew alone makes the work worth reading.

        pax et caritas,
        dale caldwell
        bellingham, washington