Re: [ematthew] Evangelical Matthew?

  • Matthew Estrada
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 13 6:31 PM
      --- "Larry J. Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
      > Our discussion a couple of months ago on the
      > non-evangelical nature of the last verses of the
      > gospel, and discussing things in my Bible as
      > Literature class that I teach, and now I wonder
      > about some of the other passages that have
      > traditionally been taken as "evangelical" in
      > nature: are they?

      Hello Larry,

      I posted my thoughts on the last few verses of
      Matthew's gospel on Crosstalk2 which you might find
      interesting. I believe they show that Matthew was
      evangelical in nature. He tried depicting Jesus both
      as Moses who delivers his people from a greater
      slavery than what the Israelites had formerly known
      via a greater Exodus than what the Israelites had
      formerly experienced, and as God who sends his
      followers out to announce his salvation even as God
      sent Moses out to announce his earlier salvation. You
      can reference this post by going to the following url:

      =====

      Matthew Estrada

      113 Laurel Court

      Peachtree City, Ga 30269

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • john Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 14 9:19 AM
        anyone's coptic or german skills up to evaluating
        this?

        http://www.nb.no/baser/schoyen/4/4.1/413.html

        MS 2650

        CODEX SCH�YEN

        BIBLE: MATTHEW
        MS in Mesokemic (Middle Egyptian or Oxyrhynchite
        dialect) on papyrus, Oxyrhynchus region, Egypt, 1st
        half of 4th c., 39 ff. (- ca. 6 ff.), 23x20 cm, single
        column, (18x14-16 cm), 25-28 lines in a fine regular
        Coptic uncial.

        Context: MSS 2648, 2649, 2651 and 14 ff. of Isaiah (in
        Mesokemic, ca. 300) were found tipped in among the
        leaves of the present codex, which originally had ca.
        45 ff.
        Probably from the same hoard as the Chester Beatty
        papyri, now in Dublin: Chester Beatty Library.

        Provenance: 1. Monastery in the Oxyrhynchus region,
        Egypt (4th c. - ca. 1930); 2. Antiquity dealer,
        Alexandria (ca. 1930); 3. Private collector, Z�rich.

        Commentary: The text opens at ch. 5:38 and goes more
        or less continuously to the end.

        The present codex is the earliest Matthew in any
        Coptic dialect. The 11 chapters, 6-9, 13-17, 22 and
        28, and a great number of verses elsewhere, are in
        addition the earliest witnesses to these parts of the
        Bible. The text is unique, not following any Coptic
        nor Greek manuscripts known of Matthew.

        Prof. Dr. Hans-Martin Schenke in his editio princeps
        of the text, has named the manuscript Codex Sch�yen,
        with the siglum Mae 2. (siglum Mae 1 being the Scheide
        Codex of 5th c.) His conclusions are that the text is
        not representing a free text transmission in relation
        to all the other extant Greek and Coptic manuscripts
        of Matthew, but that it is a correct translation of an
        entirely different Gospel of Matthew. There is only
        one other Gospel of Matthew known, the lost Hebrew
        Gospel of the Jewish Christians mentioned by the
        church fathers. This would have been the Hebrew
        exemplar of the Greek translation the present
        manuscript is based upon. Actually the famous
        statement by Papias that the Hebrew Gospel of Matthew
        was translated into Greek several times (Eusebius,
        hist. eccl. III, 39, 16), now come in a new light. Due
        to a series of textual differences between Codex
        Sch�yen and the Canonical Gospel, it appears that both
        Gospels derive from different versions of the Hebrew
        Matthew. The consequence is that the relationship
        among the Synoptic Gospels has to be entirely
        re-evaluated, causing far-reaching and dramatic
        consequences for New Testament research.

        Published: Hans-Martin Schenke in the series
        Manuscripts in The Sch�yen Collection, ed. Jens
        Braarvig; Coptic Papyri, vol. I. Oslo 2001.

        http://tax.yahoo.com