Re: [ematthew] Evangelical Matthew?

  • LARRY SWAIN
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12, 2003
      Full details on the books are:

      Wuellner, Wilhelm
      The Meaning of Fishers of Men
      Philadelphia Westminster Press 1967.

      Has anyone read it?
    • MillerJimE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12, 2003
        I think we need to differentiate between the gospel of Matthew as a late
        1st century text and its sources which may go back to Jesus and/or a strictly
        palestinian Jewish context. Matthew, written in the diaspora for members of
        a church which had been evangelizing for some time probably understood these
        quotes evangelically. However, in a palestinian Jewish context they could
        have a different meaning.
        Jim Miller
      • Munachi E. Ezeogu
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13, 2003
          I have not read Wuellner's book, but a study available at Creighton
          University website has this to say about it:

          "Among the sources that construct a view a (sic) discipleship from Mt 4:19,
          Wuellner (1967) writes that this passage implies that Jesus' role is that of
          both teacher and prophet. Jesus offering the position of "fisherman"
          connotes Jesus' granting authority in teaching and judgment to his
          disciples, and, Wuellner argues, to his church. Wuellner further discusses
          fishing in two lights: that of Jesus' teachings as the new Torah and that of
          Jesus as the new Moses. These two views are linked by the concept of
          men-fishing: the fishing that occurs in the church by men-fishers and God's
          judgment."

          The article which has some useful views and biblography can be accessed at
          http://moses.creighton.edu/malina/ntstudy/Schwartz.htm.

          Ernest M. Ezeogu
          (Toronto School of Theology)

        • Matthew Estrada
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13, 2003
            --- "Larry J. Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
            > Our discussion a couple of months ago on the
            > non-evangelical nature of the last verses of the
            > gospel, and discussing things in my Bible as
            > Literature class that I teach, and now I wonder
            > about some of the other passages that have
            > traditionally been taken as "evangelical" in
            > nature: are they?

            Hello Larry,

            I posted my thoughts on the last few verses of
            Matthew's gospel on Crosstalk2 which you might find
            interesting. I believe they show that Matthew was
            evangelical in nature. He tried depicting Jesus both
            as Moses who delivers his people from a greater
            slavery than what the Israelites had formerly known
            via a greater Exodus than what the Israelites had
            formerly experienced, and as God who sends his
            followers out to announce his salvation even as God
            sent Moses out to announce his earlier salvation. You
            can reference this post by going to the following url:

            =====

            Matthew Estrada

            113 Laurel Court

            Peachtree City, Ga 30269

            http://tax.yahoo.com
          • john Paul
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14, 2003
              anyone's coptic or german skills up to evaluating
              this?

              http://www.nb.no/baser/schoyen/4/4.1/413.html

              MS 2650

              CODEX SCH�YEN

              BIBLE: MATTHEW
              MS in Mesokemic (Middle Egyptian or Oxyrhynchite
              dialect) on papyrus, Oxyrhynchus region, Egypt, 1st
              half of 4th c., 39 ff. (- ca. 6 ff.), 23x20 cm, single
              column, (18x14-16 cm), 25-28 lines in a fine regular
              Coptic uncial.

              Context: MSS 2648, 2649, 2651 and 14 ff. of Isaiah (in
              Mesokemic, ca. 300) were found tipped in among the
              leaves of the present codex, which originally had ca.
              45 ff.
              Probably from the same hoard as the Chester Beatty
              papyri, now in Dublin: Chester Beatty Library.

              Provenance: 1. Monastery in the Oxyrhynchus region,
              Egypt (4th c. - ca. 1930); 2. Antiquity dealer,
              Alexandria (ca. 1930); 3. Private collector, Z�rich.

              Commentary: The text opens at ch. 5:38 and goes more
              or less continuously to the end.

              The present codex is the earliest Matthew in any
              Coptic dialect. The 11 chapters, 6-9, 13-17, 22 and
              28, and a great number of verses elsewhere, are in
              addition the earliest witnesses to these parts of the
              Bible. The text is unique, not following any Coptic
              nor Greek manuscripts known of Matthew.

              Prof. Dr. Hans-Martin Schenke in his editio princeps
              of the text, has named the manuscript Codex Sch�yen,
              with the siglum Mae 2. (siglum Mae 1 being the Scheide
              Codex of 5th c.) His conclusions are that the text is
              not representing a free text transmission in relation
              to all the other extant Greek and Coptic manuscripts
              of Matthew, but that it is a correct translation of an
              entirely different Gospel of Matthew. There is only
              one other Gospel of Matthew known, the lost Hebrew
              Gospel of the Jewish Christians mentioned by the
              church fathers. This would have been the Hebrew
              exemplar of the Greek translation the present
              manuscript is based upon. Actually the famous
              statement by Papias that the Hebrew Gospel of Matthew
              was translated into Greek several times (Eusebius,
              hist. eccl. III, 39, 16), now come in a new light. Due
              to a series of textual differences between Codex
              Sch�yen and the Canonical Gospel, it appears that both
              Gospels derive from different versions of the Hebrew
              Matthew. The consequence is that the relationship
              among the Synoptic Gospels has to be entirely
              re-evaluated, causing far-reaching and dramatic
              consequences for New Testament research.

              Published: Hans-Martin Schenke in the series
              Manuscripts in The Sch�yen Collection, ed. Jens
              Braarvig; Coptic Papyri, vol. I. Oslo 2001.

              http://tax.yahoo.com