Re: [ematthew] Matthew Books

  • MillerJimE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
      Noel F. writes:
      << As I wish to study Matthew's Gospel would you
      like to recommend some books? Are the
      following the preferred books on Matthew? >>

      The three volume set by Davies & Allison is good to have and use, but it
      is terribly expensive. I would say, make sure your local library has the
      set. Let them spend that kind of money for you. As long as we are throwing
      money around, don't forget the massive commentary by Hans Dieter Betz on the
      Sermon on the Mount in the Hermeneia Series.
      Sometimes the smaller, older commentaries have interesting bits at much
      more affordable prices. Such as, JC Fenton, Saint Matthew, Pelican NT
      Commentaries. More recent is the one volume Church and Community in Crisis
      by J Andrew Overman.
      Finally, The Challenge of Jesus' Parables edited by Richard Longnecker,
      Eerdmans Publ, 1999 is an excellent resource.
      Jim Miller
    • Steve Black
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
        I have been enjoying Luz's commentary. (Minneapolis: Augsburg
        Fortress, 1989). It spends plenty time on the history of
        interpretation, which I find very interesting.
        Vancouver, BC
      • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
          Dear noel, I enclose a recent updating of Matthew. Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp

          At 04:29 AM 12/16/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >The following is a forward from new member Noel Fitzpatrick:
          >
          >As I wish to study Matthew's Gospel would you
          >like to recommend some books? Are the
          >following the preferred books on Matthew?
          >
          >(1) 'A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew',
          >CS Keener, Eerdmans,1999.
          >
          >(2) 'The Birth of the Messiah'. RE Brown,
          >Anchor.
          >
          >(3) 'Matthew, Anchor Vol 26', Eds CS Mann and
          >WF Fulbright
          >
          >(4) 'An Introduction to the NT', RE Brown.
          >Anchor Bible Ref Library.
          >
          >Congratulations on your initiative and I look
          >forward to the list.
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Noel J Fitzpatrick.
          >**********************************
          >Noel Fitzpatrick
          >16 Granville Park
          >Blackrock
          >Co Dublin
          >Ireland

        • L. J. Swain
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
            Noel & Mary Fitzpatrick wrote:

            > I am very grateful to those who replied to my query about books
            > on Matthew's gospel.
            >
            > The following book has been brought to my attention "Matthew's
            > Gospel and the History of Biblical Interpretation", by Sean P
            > Kealy, Mellen Biblical Press Series, Vol 55A, 1997, list price
            > $109.95.

            Right, an important book for the purposes of this list, and done by one
            of our own moderators.