96Re: [ematthew] Peter in Matthew

  • Steve Black
    Feb 26, 2003
      >Some grist for this mill, perhaps...
      >
      >Wallace W. Bubar, 'Killing Two Birds With One Stone: The Utter
      >De(con)struction of Matthew and his Church', _Biblical Interpretation_ 3, 2
      >(1995), 144-57.
      >
      >Bubar seeks to show how 16:13-20 and other 'rock'/'stone' passages in
      >Matthew (3:9; 4:6; 13:5-6, 20-21; 23:37; 24:2; 27:60) are deconstructed in
      >the gospel. He alleges that there is inversion and contradiction throughout
      >the references, which means that Jesus' confident statement on the authority
      >of the ekklesia in 16:13-20 paradoxically undermines the entire gospel. The
      >church has used 16:13-20 to claim authority... but the text undermines
      >itself in (e.g.) 13:5-6, 20-21 - the seed in rocky ground, with associations
      >of shallowness and weakness rather than stability and endurance, and
      >withering (illustrated by Peter's own withering in the narrative).
      >
      >Antony (Billington)

      Is he suggesting that this is within the "authorial intent" of
      Matthew, or something that can be achieved with a contemporary
      reading strategy that is not so based upon "authorial intent".

      I find Matthew very easy to "deconstruct" as I don't find his "logic"
      particularly consistent - I suspect that at times he is more the
      redactor than author (although only at times) who lets major
      discrepancies stand in his text - perhaps simply due to
      inattentiveness - while at other times he is VERY attentive. So I
      don't construe him as "consistent". This makes "deconstruction" easy
      - but it also violates authorial intent - which is only as important
      as - well as important as you make it...
      Vancouver School of Theology
      Vancouver, BC
      ---

      The lion and the calf shall lie down together
      but the calf won't get much sleep.
      -Woody Allen
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic