95Re: [ematthew] Peter in Matthew

  • antony
    Feb 26, 2003
      Some grist for this mill, perhaps...

      Wallace W. Bubar, ŒKilling Two Birds With One Stone: The Utter
      De(con)struction of Matthew and his Church¹, _Biblical Interpretation_ 3, 2
      (1995), 144-57.

      Bubar seeks to show how 16:13-20 and other Œrock¹/Œstone¹ passages in
      Matthew (3:9; 4:6; 13:5-6, 20-21; 23:37; 24:2; 27:60) are deconstructed in
      the gospel. He alleges that there is inversion and contradiction throughout
      the references, which means that Jesus¹ confident statement on the authority
      of the ekklesia in 16:13-20 paradoxically undermines the entire gospel. The
      church has used 16:13-20 to claim authority... but the text undermines
      itself in (e.g.) 13:5-6, 20-21 ­ the seed in rocky ground, with associations
      of shallowness and weakness rather than stability and endurance, and
      withering (illustrated by Peter¹s own withering in the narrative).

      Antony (Billington)