112Re: [ematthew] Evangelical Matthew?

    Apr 12, 2003
      LARRY SWAIN wrote:

      > --- LeeEdgarTyler@... wrote:
      > > In a message dated 4/12/2003 8:57:21 PM Central
      > > Standard Time,
      > > theswain@... writes:
      >

      > > It's be difficult for me to perceive the "fishers of
      > > men" pericope as
      > > anything but evangelical, although I confess that
      > > perception could be
      > > colored. I can, however, see the sower & seed,
      > > etc., as perhaps metaphorical
      > > in other directions.
      > >
      > > Ed Tyler
      >
      > Ed,
      >
      > I know exactly what you mean. In another context in
      > recent months, I was forced to ask myself though, what
      > would a first century Galilean Jew hear when Jesus
      > says "I will make you fishers of men"? Would he
      > really hear "I will make you preachers of kingdom
      > converting the unbelieving?" I doubt it, but that
      > doesn't mean I understand the phrase any better.

      FWIW, there was an entire book put out in the New Testament Library
      Series many years ago entitled _The Meaning of "Fishers of Men"_. Don't
      know off hand who the author was, and I'm too lazy right now to look at
      the Word Commentary where it would probably be listed.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey
      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)