111Re: [ematthew] Evangelical Matthew?

  • LARRY SWAIN
    Apr 12, 2003
      --- LeeEdgarTyler@... wrote:
      > Standard Time,
      > theswain@... writes:

      > It's be difficult for me to perceive the "fishers of
      > men" pericope as
      > anything but evangelical, although I confess that
      > perception could be
      > colored. I can, however, see the sower & seed,
      > etc., as perhaps metaphorical
      > in other directions.
      >
      > Ed Tyler

      Ed,

      I know exactly what you mean. In another context in
      recent months, I was forced to ask myself though, what
      would a first century Galilean Jew hear when Jesus
      says "I will make you fishers of men"? Would he
      really hear "I will make you preachers of kingdom
      converting the unbelieving?" I doubt it, but that
      doesn't mean I understand the phrase any better.

      Larry
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic