Key definiitons for up, down, next and prev wanted

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      I think it would be good to have something like

      (define-key nxml-mode-map [M-left] 'nxml-backward-element)
      (define-key nxml-mode-map [M-right] 'nxml-forward-element)
      (define-key nxml-mode-map [M-up] 'nxml-backward-up-element)
      (define-key nxml-mode-map [M-down] 'nxml-down-element))

      Those functions are some I often want to use. It seems to me not much is
      lost by these binding. On my pc M-up/down are free and M-left/right are the
      same as C-left/right.

      - Leo
    • James Clark
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 23:00, Lennart Borgman wrote:

        > I think it would be good to have something like
        >
        > (define-key nxml-mode-map [M-left] 'nxml-backward-element)
        > (define-key nxml-mode-map [M-right] 'nxml-forward-element)
        > (define-key nxml-mode-map [M-up] 'nxml-backward-up-element)
        > (define-key nxml-mode-map [M-down] 'nxml-down-element))

        That's a perfectly reasonable thing for you to have in your .emacs, but
        nxml-mode can't do this because it would breach the conventions about
        what key sequences major modes should bind (see Major Mode Conventions
        in the elisp manual).

        James
        --
        To send me mail, replace auth-only by public in the from address.