Validating single-line XML file

  • Joe Casadonte
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8 12:39 PM
      I have an XML file that's about 500k. The data in the XML file is all
      in a single line. The validator slows to a crawl when opening the
      file -- it literally takes about 6 minutes to validate. Granted, I
      have a slow machine (PIII 866 MHz), but there seems to be some code
      issue going on here, because the same data, if "nicely" formatted,
      validates in about 15 seconds. Any idea what might be causing the
      degradation? Any idea how to abort the validation before it's
      through?

      joe
      Joe Casadonte
      jcasadonte@...

      Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
      Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
      Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
      Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
      Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
      Live Free, that's the message!
    • James Clark
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26 2:36 AM
        --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Casadonte"
        <jcasadonte@n...> wrote:

        > I have an XML file that's about 500k. The data in the XML file is all
        > in a single line. The validator slows to a crawl when opening the
        > file -- it literally takes about 6 minutes to validate. Granted, I
        > have a slow machine (PIII 866 MHz), but there seems to be some code
        > issue going on here, because the same data, if "nicely" formatted,
        > validates in about 15 seconds. Any idea what might be causing the
        > degradation?

        As far as I remember, nxml-mode doesn't perform any line-oriented
        operations, so I suspect it is something in the internals of Emacs.
        You could try toggling line-number-mode.

        > Any idea how to abort the validation before it's
        > through?

        C-c C-v should work.

        James