Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] BOM?

  • David Tolpin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2004
      > The current CVS version of Emacs, at least, supports BOM for UTF-16, but
      > not for UTF-8 AFAIK.
      >
      > BOM support is really something that belongs at coding-system level, not
      > something that should be a special case for modes like nxml.

      Is it hard to do in nxml? UTF-8 can have BOM, ability to handle BOM in UTF-8
      is crucial since Windows editors create files with BOM in UTF-8 by default,
      and nxml simply rejects to use files with BOM.

      Well, I'm immune; I do not have Windows on either of my computers; but
      it has been a very unpleasant failure in front of an audience to show that,
      unlike XML Schema, Relax NG can be authored in any editor, even Notepad.

      Only to find out that after being authored in Notepad, it cannot be
      used in Emacs.

      Laugh was the reward. I've found a work-around quickly, and I can only
      blame myself.

      But still.

      David