displaying character entities

  • Bruce D'Arcus
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2003
      James,

      Having just opened a large file with a bunch of character entities, I
      wonder if you have any plans to support displaying these as characters
      in nxml mode.

      More generally, when creating files, why use character entities as
      opposed to just the characters themselves? I use Mac OS X, which has
      unicode support in the OS, so I find it awkward even thinking about
      entities...

      Bruce
    • Norman Walsh
      • Michael Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2003
          Would it make sense to have another toggle in nXML for showing just the
          glyphs associated with numeric character entity refs (if the glyphs are
          available), and hiding the actual literal character entities themselves?

          What I mean is, nxml-toggle-char-ref-extra-display could have three
          states:

          - show numeric character refs as is, with no glyphs
          - show numeric character refs along with glyphs (if available)
          - hide numeric character refs, show glyphs only (if available)

          The "generated" glyphs could continue to be displayed in a different
          face, just as they are now, to distinguish them from literal characters.

          --Mike

        • david.pawson@rnib.org.uk
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 25, 2003
            Would it make sense to have another toggle in nXML for
            showing just the glyphs associated with numeric character
            entity refs (if the glyphs are available), and hiding the
            actual literal character entities themselves?

            IMO no Michael. Liklihood is that a user would forget that the invisible
            character is there. Unless it was replaced by some marker to say 'char here'
            in which case why not use the NCR?

            regards DaveP.

            -
            DISCLAIMER:

            and any attachments from your system.

            cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.

            those of RNIB.

            RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

            Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk
          • Bruce D'Arcus
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 25, 2003
              On Nov 25, 2003, at 3:01 AM, david.pawson@... wrote:

              > Would it make sense to have another toggle in nXML for
              > showing just the glyphs associated with numeric character
              > entity refs (if the glyphs are available), and hiding the
              > actual literal character entities themselves?
              >
              > IMO no Michael. Liklihood is that a user would forget that the
              > invisible
              > character is there. Unless it was replaced by some marker to say 'char
              > here'
              > in which case why not use the NCR?

              How about a command to convert NCRs to characters, and vice versa?

              Bruce