Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] rnc-mode updated for GNU Emacs 23+

  • James Clark
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
      Thanks for taking this on.

      I suggest you send a bug report to the FSF list suggesting that they patch the manual to point to your github repository.

      James

      On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Tom Emerson <tremerson@...> wrote:

      On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, James Clark <jjc@...> wrote:

      Have you tried contacting the original author?  It was David Rosenborg, who is still listed at:

      Yes, but as of yet I have not received a response.

          -tree

    • Oleksandr Gavenko
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
        For reference on original discussion refer to:

        https://github.com/TreeRex/rnc-mode
        http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RELAX_NG

        On 2012-12-20, James Clark wrote:

        > On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Tom Emerson wrote:
        >> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, James Clark wrote:
        >>
        >>> Have you tried contacting the original author? It was David Rosenborg,
        >>> who is still listed at:
        >>
        >> Yes, but as of yet I have not received a response.

        > Thanks for taking this on.
        >
        > I suggest you send a bug report to the FSF list suggesting that they patch
        > the manual to point to your github repository.

        How about submitting sources to

        http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/elpa/

        In this case package become available in

        http://elpa.gnu.org/

        Or ever to Emacs distro?

        Why this to do? Because of nxml-mode it is important for Emacs to have
        rnc-mode. Personally I write some own .rnc files and read a lot of SVG/XHTML
        etc .rnc files in Emacs.

        Also this is very stable package (as remarked in original discussion) so
        additional maintenance is not required and this is big argument for inclusion
        to Emacs or GNU elpa.

        And I don't know how long Tom will be interested in maintaining rnc-mode. With
        Emacs developers community this mode will be more living then with single
        maintainer... Any further maintenance can be done with bug submission for
        anyone.

        That my suggestion. And I know that pushing mode to Emacs is hard work.
        It may require David Rosenborg permission or something similar...

        I use original rnc-mode.el (from home page) without modifications in Emacs
        23/24 for long time (but use only basic features - indentation and
        highlighting)... It have such header:

        ;; A major mode for editing RELAX NG Compact syntax.
        ;; Version: 1.0b3
        ;; Date: 2002-12-05

        ;; Copyright (c) 2002, Pantor Engineering AB
        ;; All rights reserved.

        So I surprised that it didn't work for Tom.

        I checkout Tom's git sources and found only 2 difference in:

        (defun rnc-make-regexp-choice (operands)

        and

        (defun rnc-electric-brace (arg)

        which use non-existing functions in Emacs 23/24.

        So seems that I have in some way broken code highlighting. And I avoid to use
        'electric' features in all modes...

        But my Emacs don't produce errors in *Message* buffer for my use cases.

        --
        Best regards!
      • Tom Emerson
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
          On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Stefan Monnier
          <monnier@...> wrote:
          > Indeed, I'd be happy to see rnc-mode in GNU ELPA. If someone can make
          > sure the copyright paperwork is in order, that would be very appreciated.

          It is already in MELPA, FWIW. I presume that if it moves to GNU ELPA
          it should be removed from the alternate archive.

          Since I haven't heard anything from the original author (given the
          nearness of Christmas he may be on holiday and not checking mail), and
          it is under his company's copyright, I'm not sure I can submit the
          appropriate paperwork.

          -tree

          --
          Tom Emerson
          tremerson@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
            On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Stefan Monnier
            <monnier@...> wrote:
            [...]
            > Only the authors of the code can submit such paperwork.
            > More specifically, what needs to be done is to find which are the
            > contributors (contributions that total less than about 20 lines of code
            > don't need to do anything special), and then contact them to ask them if
            > they're willing to sign the necessary paperwork (unless they've already
            > signed it, of course).
            >
            > So, the first step is to figure out who are all the
            > (non-trivial) contributors.

            The changes I made for Emacs 23/24 are trivial. We would need to get
            the original author, David Rosenborg, to do the copyright assignment,
            and as I mentioned earlier in the thread he hasn't responded to my
            inquiries. So until that time (I'll send another after the new year to
            allow for him being on holiday) there is nothing to be done.

            -tree