Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] rnc-mode updated for GNU Emacs 23+

  • Tom Emerson
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
      On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, James Clark <jjc@...> wrote:

      Have you tried contacting the original author?  It was David Rosenborg, who is still listed at:

      Yes, but as of yet I have not received a response.

          -tree

      --
      Tom Emerson
      tremerson@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
        Thanks for taking this on.

        I suggest you send a bug report to the FSF list suggesting that they patch the manual to point to your github repository.

        James

        On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Tom Emerson <tremerson@...> wrote:

        On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, James Clark <jjc@...> wrote:

        Have you tried contacting the original author?  It was David Rosenborg, who is still listed at:

        Yes, but as of yet I have not received a response.

            -tree

      • Oleksandr Gavenko
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
          For reference on original discussion refer to:

          https://github.com/TreeRex/rnc-mode
          http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RELAX_NG

          On 2012-12-20, James Clark wrote:

          > On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Tom Emerson wrote:
          >> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, James Clark wrote:
          >>
          >>> Have you tried contacting the original author? It was David Rosenborg,
          >>> who is still listed at:
          >>
          >> Yes, but as of yet I have not received a response.

          > Thanks for taking this on.
          >
          > I suggest you send a bug report to the FSF list suggesting that they patch
          > the manual to point to your github repository.

          How about submitting sources to

          http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/elpa/

          In this case package become available in

          http://elpa.gnu.org/

          Or ever to Emacs distro?

          Why this to do? Because of nxml-mode it is important for Emacs to have
          rnc-mode. Personally I write some own .rnc files and read a lot of SVG/XHTML
          etc .rnc files in Emacs.

          Also this is very stable package (as remarked in original discussion) so
          additional maintenance is not required and this is big argument for inclusion
          to Emacs or GNU elpa.

          And I don't know how long Tom will be interested in maintaining rnc-mode. With
          Emacs developers community this mode will be more living then with single
          maintainer... Any further maintenance can be done with bug submission for
          anyone.

          That my suggestion. And I know that pushing mode to Emacs is hard work.
          It may require David Rosenborg permission or something similar...

          I use original rnc-mode.el (from home page) without modifications in Emacs
          23/24 for long time (but use only basic features - indentation and
          highlighting)... It have such header:

          ;; A major mode for editing RELAX NG Compact syntax.
          ;; Version: 1.0b3
          ;; Date: 2002-12-05

          ;; Copyright (c) 2002, Pantor Engineering AB
          ;; All rights reserved.

          So I surprised that it didn't work for Tom.

          I checkout Tom's git sources and found only 2 difference in:

          (defun rnc-make-regexp-choice (operands)

          and

          (defun rnc-electric-brace (arg)

          which use non-existing functions in Emacs 23/24.

          So seems that I have in some way broken code highlighting. And I avoid to use
          'electric' features in all modes...

          But my Emacs don't produce errors in *Message* buffer for my use cases.

          --
          Best regards!
        • Tom Emerson
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
            On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Stefan Monnier
            <monnier@...> wrote:
            > Indeed, I'd be happy to see rnc-mode in GNU ELPA. If someone can make
            > sure the copyright paperwork is in order, that would be very appreciated.

            It is already in MELPA, FWIW. I presume that if it moves to GNU ELPA
            it should be removed from the alternate archive.

            Since I haven't heard anything from the original author (given the
            nearness of Christmas he may be on holiday and not checking mail), and
            it is under his company's copyright, I'm not sure I can submit the
            appropriate paperwork.

            -tree

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
              On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Stefan Monnier
              <monnier@...> wrote:
              [...]
              > Only the authors of the code can submit such paperwork.
              > More specifically, what needs to be done is to find which are the
              > contributors (contributions that total less than about 20 lines of code
              > don't need to do anything special), and then contact them to ask them if
              > they're willing to sign the necessary paperwork (unless they've already
              > signed it, of course).
              >
              > So, the first step is to figure out who are all the
              > (non-trivial) contributors.

              The changes I made for Emacs 23/24 are trivial. We would need to get
              the original author, David Rosenborg, to do the copyright assignment,
              and as I mentioned earlier in the thread he hasn't responded to my
              inquiries. So until that time (I'll send another after the new year to
              allow for him being on holiday) there is nothing to be done.

              -tree