Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] rnc-mode updated for GNU Emacs 23+

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
      On 18 December 2012 17:45, Tom Emerson <tremerson@...> wrote:
      > Greetings,
      >
      > I noticed that rnc-mode has not been updated for quite some time,

      Likely because no bugs have been reported.

      and
      > that the canonical download link at Pantor stopped working.

      Canonical? In what sense?

      http://relaxng.org/#editors does link to it, not sure why though.

      http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/nxml-mode/Introduction.html
      seems to want to take over.

      DaveP

    • Tom Emerson
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@...> wrote:

        Likely because no bugs have been reported.

        I wasn't implying that change is necessary for change's sake. However, rnc-mode does not work on Emacs 23 and later without modification. That's the reason I made the minor changes I did.

        > that the canonical download link at Pantor stopped working.

        Canonical? In what sense?

        http://relaxng.org/#editors does link to it, not sure why though.

        The link at the relaxng.org site goes to http://www.pantor.com/download.html which no longer exists. As far as I could tell, the only other way to get rnc-mode was through your Linux distribution's package system, and at least two have open bugs about the Emacs 23 problem.

        I suppose you could read that page to imply that they want to take over rnc-mode, but that isn't explicitly stated. And if they do, that's fine. My hope is that the updated mode would be useful to someone.

            -tree

        --
        Tom Emerson
        tremerson@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
          * Tom Emerson <tremerson@...> [2012-12-18 12:45-0500]
          > Greetings,
          >
          > I noticed that rnc-mode has not been updated for quite some time, and
          > that the canonical download link at Pantor stopped working.
          >
          > I created a repo on github for rnc-mode, and fixed it to work with GNU
          > Emacs 23 and 24. You can clone from here:
          >
          > https://github.com/TreeRex/rnc-mode
          >
          > I will be creating a Marmalade (or MELPA, I haven't decided yet)
          > package for it in the next day or so, which will make it easier for
          > people to install.
          >
          > If you have features/bugs that you'd like addressed, feel free to
          > submit an issue on GitHub.

          I heard from some zealots that HTML5 documents like
          http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-turtle/index.html
          should be editable in emacs. The schema change (e.g. <section/> tags)
          is pretty easy to handle, but I've no idea if nxml-mode could
          conceivably handle the non-XML-ness of HTML5, e.g.
          [[
          <pre class="example">
          <script type="text/turtle">
          @prefix : <http://example.org/elements> .
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium>
          :atomicNumber 2 ; # xsd:integer
          :atomicMass 4.002602 ; # xsd:decimal
          :specificGravity 1.663E-4 . # xsd:double
          </script>
          </pre>
          ]]

          Does it make sense that there could be a feature to change the
          escaping rules inside <script/> elements? (If anyone's dying to know
          how to embed a script in a script, I'll find out.)

          Anyways I'll raise an issue if a brief conversation here gives me
          confidence that it's not an insane feature request.

          I also noticed a while ago that someone asked about an auto-fill where
          once you create an element, nxml prompts you for the embedded required
          attributes and subelements (a feature which I miss from xml-mode).
          Would the poster of that email like to file it as a feature req?

          > Share and enjoy,
          >
          > -tree
          >
          > --
          > Tom Emerson
          > tremerson@...
          > http://www.dreamersrealm.net/tree

          --
          -ericP
        • Oleksandr Gavenko
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
            On 2012-12-18, Tom Emerson wrote:

            > I noticed that rnc-mode has not been updated for quite some time, and
            > that the canonical download link at Pantor stopped working.
            >
            > I created a repo on github for rnc-mode, and fixed it to work with GNU
            > Emacs 23 and 24. You can clone from here:
            >
            > https://github.com/TreeRex/rnc-mode
            >
            > I will be creating a Marmalade (or MELPA, I haven't decided yet)
            > package for it in the next day or so, which will make it easier for
            > people to install.
            >
            > If you have features/bugs that you'd like addressed, feel free to
            > submit an issue on GitHub.

            Please submit same message to

            gnu-emacs-source@...
            Emacs source code posts only.
            Emacs source code posts only.
            http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.sources
            Gmane gateway for gnu-emacs-source.

            And provide link in

            http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RELAX_NG

            or similar page...

            --
            Best regards!
          • James Clark

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
                On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, James Clark <jjc@...> wrote:

                Have you tried contacting the original author?  It was David Rosenborg, who is still listed at:

                Yes, but as of yet I have not received a response.

                    -tree

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
                    For reference on original discussion refer to:

                    On 2012-12-20, James Clark wrote:

                    > On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Tom Emerson wrote:
                    >> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, James Clark wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Have you tried contacting the original author? It was David Rosenborg,
                    >>> who is still listed at:
                    >>
                    >> Yes, but as of yet I have not received a response.

                    > Thanks for taking this on.
                    >
                    > I suggest you send a bug report to the FSF list suggesting that they patch
                    > the manual to point to your github repository.

                    How about submitting sources to

                    http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/elpa/

                    In this case package become available in

                    http://elpa.gnu.org/

                    Or ever to Emacs distro?

                    Why this to do? Because of nxml-mode it is important for Emacs to have
                    rnc-mode. Personally I write some own .rnc files and read a lot of SVG/XHTML
                    etc .rnc files in Emacs.

                    Also this is very stable package (as remarked in original discussion) so
                    additional maintenance is not required and this is big argument for inclusion
                    to Emacs or GNU elpa.

                    And I don't know how long Tom will be interested in maintaining rnc-mode. With
                    Emacs developers community this mode will be more living then with single
                    maintainer... Any further maintenance can be done with bug submission for
                    anyone.

                    That my suggestion. And I know that pushing mode to Emacs is hard work.
                    It may require David Rosenborg permission or something similar...

                    I use original rnc-mode.el (from home page) without modifications in Emacs
                    23/24 for long time (but use only basic features - indentation and
                    highlighting)... It have such header:

                    ;; A major mode for editing RELAX NG Compact syntax.
                    ;; Version: 1.0b3
                    ;; Date: 2002-12-05

                    ;; Copyright (c) 2002, Pantor Engineering AB
                    ;; All rights reserved.

                    So I surprised that it didn't work for Tom.

                    I checkout Tom's git sources and found only 2 difference in:

                    (defun rnc-make-regexp-choice (operands)

                    and

                    (defun rnc-electric-brace (arg)

                    which use non-existing functions in Emacs 23/24.

                    So seems that I have in some way broken code highlighting. And I avoid to use
                    'electric' features in all modes...

                    But my Emacs don't produce errors in *Message* buffer for my use cases.

                    --
                    Best regards!
                  • Tom Emerson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
                      On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Stefan Monnier
                      <monnier@...> wrote:
                      > Indeed, I'd be happy to see rnc-mode in GNU ELPA. If someone can make
                      > sure the copyright paperwork is in order, that would be very appreciated.

                      It is already in MELPA, FWIW. I presume that if it moves to GNU ELPA
                      it should be removed from the alternate archive.

                      Since I haven't heard anything from the original author (given the
                      nearness of Christmas he may be on holiday and not checking mail), and
                      it is under his company's copyright, I'm not sure I can submit the
                      appropriate paperwork.

                      -tree

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
                        On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Stefan Monnier
                        <monnier@...> wrote:
                        [...]
                        > Only the authors of the code can submit such paperwork.
                        > More specifically, what needs to be done is to find which are the
                        > contributors (contributions that total less than about 20 lines of code
                        > don't need to do anything special), and then contact them to ask them if
                        > they're willing to sign the necessary paperwork (unless they've already
                        > signed it, of course).
                        >
                        > So, the first step is to figure out who are all the
                        > (non-trivial) contributors.

                        The changes I made for Emacs 23/24 are trivial. We would need to get
                        the original author, David Rosenborg, to do the copyright assignment,
                        and as I mentioned earlier in the thread he hasn't responded to my
                        inquiries. So until that time (I'll send another after the new year to
                        allow for him being on holiday) there is nothing to be done.

                        -tree