Re: Automatic Insertion of Required Elements and Attributes

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012

      > This is only one of a dozen or more missing facilities in nxml-mode.
      > I'm sure nxml-mode must be useful to some people, but that does not
      > include anyone who actually wants to write or edit a text document.

      [snip!]
      > nxml-node is possibly useful for data documents, but it is not a
      > usable tool for editing XML text documents.

      IMO you're completely wrong here. The nxml mode is quite good for
      editing text type documents (I've done docbook and DITA in it). You
      just have to unlearn psgml behaviour and embrace nxml behaviour.

      But it isn't very good for data documents. For those you'd be better
      off with some kind of tree view based editor.

      Heh... but of course, if you won't accept that nxml can be a good text
      document editor, then I guess the conclusion is that it is useless...;-)

      It isn't useless to me, though.
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012

        >> I'm actually slightly amazed. How do you deal with the absence of C-c
        >> C-e, C-c C-r, C-RET, M-C-k, and all the other editing functions? Is
        >> there a shim that implements these somewhere?

        > I used to use sgml-mode but now I do everything in nxml-mode. I
        > forget what all those keybindings meant,

        I also posted this message as a response to one of Peter's earlier
        attempts at nxml:
        http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.nxml.general/1955

        The message attempts to show how you would start creating a docbook
        document from scratch.