Installation Problem with Fedora 17

  • ingrid_schmidt@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 5:21 AM
      Hello,
      I am a relatively unexperienced Linux/Fedora user. On Fedora 16 I once successfully installed Emacs with the nXML ability working just fine, even after making it DITA-aware.
      Now I installed Fedora 17, downloaded Emacs, and followed the instructions on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_Emacs_for_XML_editing, letter by letter.

      (Sideline question: I am not sure whether the yum shell used my rpm download or whether it performed an own download from whereever appropriate...)

      I thought I did everything right but what is not working is the display of Docbook-Elements when I press CTRL-Enter within the <book>-element in the test file (as described on the a. m. Fedora web page). Message: "C-return is undefined".

      I have repeatedly checked everything I was able to think of as a source of error (checking the .emacs file, the schemas.xml, the existence of rnc files...). I could not find something similar with your search function, so I am looking forward to hopefully receive hints and tips from somebody willing to support a beginner in gaining experience.
      Thanks a lot in advance!
      Ingrid.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 6:07 AM
        On 2 July 2012 13:21, ingrid_schmidt@...
        <ingridschmidt.ka@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I am a relatively unexperienced Linux/Fedora user. On Fedora 16 I once successfully installed Emacs with the nXML ability working just fine, even after making it DITA-aware.
        > Now I installed Fedora 17, downloaded Emacs, and followed the instructions on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_Emacs_for_XML_editing, letter by letter.

        Due care. nxml-mode has been partially hi-jacked by the xhtml users.
        It may be easier to install nxml-mode from
        http://www.thaiopensource.com/nxml-mode/ then link it to emacs from there?
        e.g. in .emacs

        (setq msl "/files/emacs/site-lisp/") Or wherever you keep your nxml-mode files
        then
        (add-to-list 'load-path (concat msl "nxml-mode"))

        Then try
        M-x nxml-mode

        For docbook install the rnc files from
        http://www.docbook.org/xml/5.0/

        You then need to set up the association

        Read the file association stuff that comes with nxml-mode?
        The function is rng-set-schema-file
        to bring in the docbook schema.

        There is more, but that may give you a start.

        HTH

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15 1:12 AM

          > I am a relatively unexperienced Linux/Fedora user. On Fedora 16 I once
          > successfully installed Emacs with the nXML ability working just fine,
          > even after making it DITA-aware.

          Hm... how did you go about to create the RNC file for DITA? I remember
          having a lot of problems with that back in 2006 or 2007 or thereabouts.

          > Now I installed Fedora 17, downloaded Emacs, and followed the instructions on
          > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_Emacs_for_XML_editing, letter by letter.

          Hm... it would be more helpful if you could post your actual config
          files and list the exact steps you did. Going through that exercise may
          show you where you went wrong, if that's the case.

          > (Sideline question: I am not sure whether the yum shell used my rpm
          > download or whether it performed an own download from whereever
          > appropriate...)

          No idea. I'm a debian user. :-)

          > I thought I did everything right but what is not working is the
          > display of Docbook-Elements when I press CTRL-Enter within the
          > <book>-element in the test file (as described on the a. m. Fedora web
          > page). Message: "C-return is undefined".

          It does sound like you're not in nxml-mode. What does the mode line
          (the line with inverted text colours) say about what mode you're in?
          The mode is listed inside "[(" and ")]", eg. like so "[(Fundamental)]".

          > I have repeatedly checked everything I was able to think of as a
          > source of error (checking the .emacs file, the schemas.xml, the
          > existence of rnc files...).

          Could you list what you did during the checking? The steps you did and
          ther results you found, as concretely as possible (don't be afraid to
          use actual file names)?

          > I could not find something similar with your search function,

          Er... what search function...?