Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] editing xhtml fragments

  • Stephen Langer
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
      On Aug 17, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:

      >> How do you tell nxml how to find the dtd
      >
      > You don't.
      > Use trang to convert to relax NG,
      > then use the rnc
      > file via the schema association.

      Thanks. I'd forgotten that I'd already done that. But I never figured out how to tell nxml that a file whose first xml tag was <chapter> or <para> is valid, because it's included in another file which contains the required surrounding tags.

      -- Steve

      --
      -- stephen.langer@... Tel: (301) 975-5423 --
      -- http://math.nist.gov/~SLanger/ Fax: (301) 975-3553 --

      -- "I don't think this will work. That's why it's science." --
      -- Naomi Langer (age 6), 17 Feb 2003 --
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
        On 17 August 2011 16:40, Stephen Langer <stephen.langer@...> wrote:

        > On Aug 17, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
        >

        >>> How do you tell nxml how to find the dtd
        >>
        >> You don't.
        >> Use trang to convert to relax NG,
        >> then use the rnc
        >> file via the schema association.
        >
        > Thanks.  I'd forgotten that I'd already done that.  But I never figured out how to tell nxml that a file whose first xml tag was <chapter> or <para> is valid, because it's included in another file which contains the required surrounding tags.

        Wrong tool
        Validate on the command line, or edit the rnc file to tell nxml-mode
        that the entity can start on chapter?

        HTH

      • Stephen Langer
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
          On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:

          >> Thanks. I'd forgotten that I'd already done that. But I never figured out how to tell nxml that a file whose first xml tag was <chapter> or <para> is valid, because it's included in another file which contains the required surrounding tags.
          >
          > Wrong tool
          > Validate on the command line,

          But isn't the whole point that nxml helps you write valid xml, by showing you your mistakes and suggesting and autocompleting the valid tags at any point? What's the point of using nxml if you have to validate outside of emacs?

          > or edit the rnc file to tell nxml-mode
          > that the entity can start on chapter?

          But I have lots of included files, and they aren't all chapters, and it's not practical to have separate rnc files for them all.

          What would be useful would be for each file to contain a special comment that says what the enclosing elements are. I think I used to use psgml mode to do this. I don't remember exactly what prompted me to switch to nxml.

          -- Steve

          --
          -- stephen.langer@... Tel: (301) 975-5423 --
          -- http://math.nist.gov/~SLanger/ Fax: (301) 975-3553 --
          -- NIST, 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8910, Gaithersburg, Md 20899-8910 --

          -- "I don't think this will work. That's why it's science." --
          -- Naomi Langer (age 6), 17 Feb 2003 --
        • Peter Flynn
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
            On 17/08/11 19:19, Stephen Langer wrote:
            [...]
            > What would be useful would be for each file to contain a special
            > comment that says what the enclosing elements are. I think I used to
            > use psgml mode to do this. I don't remember exactly what prompted me
            > to switch to nxml.

            I looked at it and went back to psgml. It's simply doesn't have the
            interface (commands) that you need for writing and editing, and as 99%
            of my work is with people who use DTDs, it's not much use for that
            either. I'm sure it's terribly clever, but without the command-set and
            the ability to use DTDs, it's crippled.

            On 17/08/11 07:31, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
            > How to:
            > - Get nXML accept my malformed XML docs (no DOCTYPE, nothing but
            > xHTML fragments)

            I don't think you can do that without surgery.

            To use a fragment, specify the enclosing element type in a DOCTYPE
            Declaration, and use a DTD-aware environment.

            > - Get nXML use my C-c C-t to create tag.

            Pass. Psgml provide C-c C-e for this ("elements", not "tags"; if you
            *really* mean create tag, psgml provides C-c < to create a start-tag and
            C-c / to create the matching end-tag).

            ///Peter
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
              On 17 August 2011 19:19, Stephen Langer <stephen.langer@...> wrote:

              > On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
              >
              >>> Thanks.  I'd forgotten that I'd already done that.  But I never figured out how to tell nxml that a file whose first xml tag was <chapter> or <para> is valid, because it's included in another file which contains the required surrounding tags.
              >>
              >> Wrong tool
              >>  Validate on the command line,
              >
              > But isn't the whole point that nxml helps you write valid xml, by showing you your mistakes and suggesting and autocompleting the valid tags at any point?  What's the point of using nxml if you have to validate outside of emacs?

              In which case provide the rnc schema for nxml-mode to use.
              nxml-mode doesn't hack xinclude or external entities.

              >>  or edit the rnc file to tell nxml-mode
              >> that the entity can start on chapter?
              >
              > But I have lots of included files, and they aren't all chapters, and it's not practical to have separate rnc files for them all.

              I didn't suggest it was. Modify the start element in one schema covering
              the entire included document.

              > What would be useful would be for each file to contain a special comment that says what the enclosing elements are.  I think I used to use psgml mode to do this.  I don't remember exactly what prompted me to switch to nxml.

              Doesn't exist.
              Revert to sgml-mode?

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 20, 2011

                > In my old Emacs, I used "M-x xml-mode" which drove me to the SGML mode.
                > In Emacs 23 (Ubuntu Oneiric flavor), nXML mode takes it.

                You could try to "sudo apt-get install psgml"...?

                It may not bind to your XML documents file extensions in
                auto-mode-alist, but that's easily fixed.

                psgml is still present in oneiric: http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/psgml

                > The problem with nXML (and me) is:
                > - the lone shortcut I use, C-c C-t (create tag) is not in use.

                nXML has chosen a different approach.

                See my examples here for using nXML to insert tags and attributes:
                http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.nxml.general/1944/focus=1955