editing xhtml fragments

  • Mihamina Rakotomandimby
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 16, 2011
      Hi all

      I usually update my blog using Drivel
      (http://dropline.net/past-projects/drivel-blog-editor/)
      In the "body" part, there is no need to put entire xHTML document:
      - no HTML, no HEAD, no BODY
      - just P, H1, H2, DIV,...

      In my old Emacs, I used "M-x xml-mode" which drove me to the SGML mode.
      In Emacs 23 (Ubuntu Oneiric flavor), nXML mode takes it.

      The problem with nXML (and me) is:
      - the lone shortcut I use, C-c C-t (create tag) is not in use.
      - nXML is very strict when I use my malformed XML document

      How to:
      - Get nXML accept my malformed XML docs (no DOCTYPE, nothing but xHTML
      fragments)
      - Get nXML use my C-c C-t to create tag.

      Thank you everybody.

      --
      RMA.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 16, 2011
        On 17 August 2011 07:31, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@...> wrote:
        > Hi all
        >
        > I usually update my blog using Drivel
        > (http://dropline.net/past-projects/drivel-blog-editor/)
        > In the "body" part, there is no need to put entire xHTML document:
        > - no HTML, no HEAD, no BODY
        > - just P, H1, H2, DIV,...

        which is not html, nor xml for which nxml-mode is intended.

        > In my old Emacs, I used "M-x xml-mode" which drove me to the SGML mode.
        > In Emacs 23 (Ubuntu Oneiric flavor), nXML mode takes it.

        If sgml-mode meets your needs, use it.

        > The problem with nXML (and me) is:
        > - the lone shortcut I use, C-c C-t (create tag) is not in use.

        Still available in sgml-mode

        > - nXML is very strict when I use my malformed XML document

        As intended.

      • Stephen Langer
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
          On Aug 17, 2011, at 2:45 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:

          >> - nXML is very strict when I use my malformed XML document
          >
          > As intended.

          It seems to be *too* strict.

          Is nxml supposed to work when editing an xml fragment that's included in another document? For example, here's the outer document:

          > <?xml version='1.0'?>
          > <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN" "dtd/docbook-xml-4.5/docbookx.dtd"
          > [
          > <!ENTITY chapterone SYSTEM "chapter_one.xml">
          > ]>
          >
          > <book>
          > &chapterone;
          > </book>

          and here's chapter_one.xml:

          > <chapter>
          > etc.
          > </chapter

          How do you tell nxml how to find the dtd and that the contents of this file are inside <book> tags? Is there a better way to include the file in the master document, one that nxml understands?

          -- Steve

          --
          -- stephen.langer@... Tel: (301) 975-5423 --
          -- http://math.nist.gov/~SLanger/ Fax: (301) 975-3553 --

          -- "I don't think this will work. That's why it's science." --
          -- Naomi Langer (age 6), 17 Feb 2003 --
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
            On 17 August 2011 15:08, Stephen Langer <stephen.langer@...> wrote:

            > On Aug 17, 2011, at 2:45 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
            >

            >>> - nXML is very strict when I use my malformed XML document
            >>
            >> As intended.
            >
            > It seems to be *too* strict.

            No. Appropriate for xml.

            > Is nxml supposed to work when editing an xml fragment that's included in another document?

            Yes. Any xml.

            >> <?xml version='1.0'?>
            >> <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN" "dtd/docbook-xml-4.5/docbookx.dtd"
            >>  [
            >> <!ENTITY chapterone SYSTEM "chapter_one.xml">
            >> ]>
            >>
            >> <book>
            >> &chapterone;
            >> </book>

            nxml-mode isn't too happy working with DTD's.

            > and here's chapter_one.xml:
            >
            >> <chapter>
            >>  etc.
            >> </chapter
            >
            > How do you tell nxml how to find the dtd

            You don't.
            Use trang to convert to relax NG, then use the rnc
            file via the schema association.

            HTH

          • Stephen Langer
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
              On Aug 17, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:

              >> How do you tell nxml how to find the dtd
              >
              > You don't.
              > Use trang to convert to relax NG,
              > then use the rnc
              > file via the schema association.

              Thanks. I'd forgotten that I'd already done that. But I never figured out how to tell nxml that a file whose first xml tag was <chapter> or <para> is valid, because it's included in another file which contains the required surrounding tags.

              -- Steve

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
                On 17 August 2011 16:40, Stephen Langer <stephen.langer@...> wrote:

                > On Aug 17, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
                >

                >>> How do you tell nxml how to find the dtd
                >>
                >> You don't.
                >> Use trang to convert to relax NG,
                >> then use the rnc
                >> file via the schema association.
                >
                > Thanks.  I'd forgotten that I'd already done that.  But I never figured out how to tell nxml that a file whose first xml tag was <chapter> or <para> is valid, because it's included in another file which contains the required surrounding tags.

                Wrong tool
                Validate on the command line, or edit the rnc file to tell nxml-mode
                that the entity can start on chapter?

                HTH

              • Stephen Langer
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
                  On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:

                  >> Thanks. I'd forgotten that I'd already done that. But I never figured out how to tell nxml that a file whose first xml tag was <chapter> or <para> is valid, because it's included in another file which contains the required surrounding tags.
                  >
                  > Wrong tool
                  > Validate on the command line,

                  But isn't the whole point that nxml helps you write valid xml, by showing you your mistakes and suggesting and autocompleting the valid tags at any point? What's the point of using nxml if you have to validate outside of emacs?

                  > or edit the rnc file to tell nxml-mode
                  > that the entity can start on chapter?

                  But I have lots of included files, and they aren't all chapters, and it's not practical to have separate rnc files for them all.

                  What would be useful would be for each file to contain a special comment that says what the enclosing elements are. I think I used to use psgml mode to do this. I don't remember exactly what prompted me to switch to nxml.

                  -- Steve

                  --
                  -- stephen.langer@... Tel: (301) 975-5423 --
                  -- http://math.nist.gov/~SLanger/ Fax: (301) 975-3553 --
                  -- NIST, 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8910, Gaithersburg, Md 20899-8910 --

                  -- "I don't think this will work. That's why it's science." --
                  -- Naomi Langer (age 6), 17 Feb 2003 --
                • Peter Flynn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
                    On 17/08/11 19:19, Stephen Langer wrote:
                    [...]
                    > What would be useful would be for each file to contain a special
                    > comment that says what the enclosing elements are. I think I used to
                    > use psgml mode to do this. I don't remember exactly what prompted me
                    > to switch to nxml.

                    I looked at it and went back to psgml. It's simply doesn't have the
                    interface (commands) that you need for writing and editing, and as 99%
                    of my work is with people who use DTDs, it's not much use for that
                    either. I'm sure it's terribly clever, but without the command-set and
                    the ability to use DTDs, it's crippled.

                    On 17/08/11 07:31, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
                    > How to:
                    > - Get nXML accept my malformed XML docs (no DOCTYPE, nothing but
                    > xHTML fragments)

                    I don't think you can do that without surgery.

                    To use a fragment, specify the enclosing element type in a DOCTYPE
                    Declaration, and use a DTD-aware environment.

                    > - Get nXML use my C-c C-t to create tag.

                    Pass. Psgml provide C-c C-e for this ("elements", not "tags"; if you
                    *really* mean create tag, psgml provides C-c < to create a start-tag and
                    C-c / to create the matching end-tag).

                    ///Peter
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 17, 2011
                      On 17 August 2011 19:19, Stephen Langer <stephen.langer@...> wrote:

                      > On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
                      >
                      >>> Thanks.  I'd forgotten that I'd already done that.  But I never figured out how to tell nxml that a file whose first xml tag was <chapter> or <para> is valid, because it's included in another file which contains the required surrounding tags.
                      >>
                      >> Wrong tool
                      >>  Validate on the command line,
                      >
                      > But isn't the whole point that nxml helps you write valid xml, by showing you your mistakes and suggesting and autocompleting the valid tags at any point?  What's the point of using nxml if you have to validate outside of emacs?

                      In which case provide the rnc schema for nxml-mode to use.
                      nxml-mode doesn't hack xinclude or external entities.

                      >>  or edit the rnc file to tell nxml-mode
                      >> that the entity can start on chapter?
                      >
                      > But I have lots of included files, and they aren't all chapters, and it's not practical to have separate rnc files for them all.

                      I didn't suggest it was. Modify the start element in one schema covering
                      the entire included document.

                      > What would be useful would be for each file to contain a special comment that says what the enclosing elements are.  I think I used to use psgml mode to do this.  I don't remember exactly what prompted me to switch to nxml.

                      Doesn't exist.
                      Revert to sgml-mode?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 20, 2011

                        > In my old Emacs, I used "M-x xml-mode" which drove me to the SGML mode.
                        > In Emacs 23 (Ubuntu Oneiric flavor), nXML mode takes it.

                        You could try to "sudo apt-get install psgml"...?

                        It may not bind to your XML documents file extensions in
                        auto-mode-alist, but that's easily fixed.

                        psgml is still present in oneiric: http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/psgml

                        > The problem with nXML (and me) is:
                        > - the lone shortcut I use, C-c C-t (create tag) is not in use.

                        nXML has chosen a different approach.

                        See my examples here for using nXML to insert tags and attributes:
                        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.nxml.general/1944/focus=1955