error reporting

  • Bruce D'Arcus
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
      Regarding error reporting in nxml:

      Unfortunately, my version of emacs doesn't support tooltips. In the
      absence of that, my understanding is I should be able to use C-c C-n to
      get the error message displayed. If I do this, though, I get a "no
      more errors" message, despite the fact that there is an error
      (correctly) underlined in red.

      Maybe I'm just missing something again. Suggestions?

      Bruce
    • Bruce D'Arcus
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
        On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 03:51 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

        > Maybe I'm just missing something again.

        Two things:

        OK, it only works if there's more than one error.

        There seems to be a bug, however. With the below code, I only get
        error-reporting (red underline and so forth) with the tag typo on the
        title element. I do not with the incorrect date, despite the fact that
        this error is correctly highlighted when I remove the typo. Aside from
        fixing the bug, then, I wonder if the C-c C-n command might still
        report the error if there's only a single one, for those of us
        tooltip-challenged users ;-)

        <in>
        <titles>
        <titl>Journal Title</title>
        </titles>
        <date>2002-0</date>
        <part>text</part>
        </in>

        Bruce
      • James Clark
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
          Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

          > Unfortunately, my version of emacs doesn't support tooltips. In the
          > absence of that, my understanding is I should be able to use C-c C-n to
          > get the error message displayed. If I do this, though, I get a "no
          > more errors" message, despite the fact that there is an error
          > (correctly) underlined in red.

          C-c C-n goes to the next error AFTER the cursor. If the cursor is
          somewhere in the buffer before the underlined error, then C-c C-n should
          move to it. Otherwise, it will say No more errors.

          If you want to go to the first error, you can just click on the work
          Invalid in the mode line.

          However, tooltips or no, it's rather inconvenient to have to explicitly
          do something to see the errors. So I've been fixing it to
          automatically display the error (in the echo area) where the cursor is
          (or immediately before the cursor). I'll try and put this out tomorrow.

          James
        • Bruce D'Arcus
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
            On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 05:34 PM, James Clark wrote:

            > However, tooltips or no, it's rather inconvenient to have to explicitly
            > do something to see the errors. So I've been fixing it to
            > automatically display the error (in the echo area) where the cursor is
            > (or immediately before the cursor). I'll try and put this out
            > tomorrow.

            Yes, I was going to suggest something like this.

            Bruce