Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] Re: nxml-mode, docbook, xinclude

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 6, 2009
      2009/8/7 wyuenho <wyuenho@...>:
      > --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Colascione <danc@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> On Monday 09 June 2008, rossburton42 wrote:
      >> > I'm using nxml-mode to validate my Docbook and so on as I write, but
      >> > I've hit a small annoyance.  In my current document I'm using XInclude
      >> > to bring in source code snippets but nxml is for obviously reasons
      >> > marking <xi:include .../> as invalid.

      You should be using the docbook v5 schema.
      nxml-mode has that as valid.

      > I've rewritten the Xinclude grammar in nXhtml to conform to the official Xinclude XSD.

      Already done by the docbook group at Oasis.

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
        On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

        > 2009/8/7 wyuenho <wyuenho@...>:
        >
        >> --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Colascione <danc@...>
        >> wrote:

        > You should be using the docbook v5 schema.
        > nxml-mode has that as valid.

        But that is only included in Emacs 23, not the standalone nxml-mode
        that Emacs 22 users download.

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
          2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:

          >> You should be using the docbook v5 schema.
          >> nxml-mode has that as valid.
          >
          > But that is only included in Emacs 23, not the standalone nxml-mode
          > that Emacs 22 users download.

          The question was about docbook?
          I don't think even your nxml-mode includes that (nor should it?)

          docbook is available from sourceforge. With the schema
          for v5, from which the rnc can be added to nxml-mode
          with no problem.

          HTH

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
            On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

            > 2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:
            >
            >>> You should be using the docbook v5 schema.
            >>> nxml-mode has that as valid.
            >>
            >> But that is only included in Emacs 23, not the standalone nxml-mode
            >> that Emacs 22 users download.
            >
            > The question was about docbook?
            > I don't think even your nxml-mode includes that (nor should it?)

            It is included in the nxml-mode that comes with Emacs 23.

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
              2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:

              >> The question was about docbook?
              >> I don't think even your nxml-mode includes that (nor should it?)
              >

              > It is included in the nxml-mode that comes with Emacs 23.
              >

              >> docbook is available from sourceforge. With the schema
              >> for v5, from which the rnc can be added to nxml-mode
              >> with no problem.

              Then either pick up both versions, 4.5 and 5.0 (and keep
              them up to date I guess) or link to where the schemas
              can be picked up.

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

                >> It is included in the nxml-mode that comes with Emacs 23.
                >>

                >>> docbook is available from sourceforge. With the schema
                >>> for v5, from which the rnc can be added to nxml-mode
                >>> with no problem.
                >
                > Then either pick up both versions, 4.5 and 5.0 (and keep
                > them up to date I guess) or link to where the schemas
                > can be picked up.

                Could you please explain how we should handle this in Emacs? (I have
                added Emacs Devel to the discussion.)
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                  2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:
                  > On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>> It is included in the nxml-mode that comes with Emacs 23.

                  >> Then either pick up both versions, 4.5 and 5.0 (and keep
                  >> them up to date I guess) or link to where the schemas
                  >> can be picked up.
                  >
                  > Could you please explain how we should handle this in Emacs? (I have
                  > added Emacs Devel to the discussion.)

                  Just my point. I don't think this should be an emacs issue
                  If you want docbook schema, html or any other schema
                  the end user should pick up that schema from the source
                  of that schema.

                  Hence my earlier comments.

                  I stated, the docbook v5 schema includes xinclude within it.

                  which is what the OP wanted, or was missing

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                    On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

                    >>> Then either pick up both versions, 4.5 and 5.0 (and keep
                    >>> them up to date I guess) or link to where the schemas
                    >>> can be picked up.
                    >>
                    >> Could you please explain how we should handle this in Emacs? (I have
                    >> added Emacs Devel to the discussion.)
                    >
                    > Just my point. I don't think this should be an emacs issue
                    > If you want docbook schema, html or any other schema
                    > the end user should pick up that schema from the source
                    > of that schema.

                    Thanks. I see.

                    I really think they should be part of Emacs distribution (as they are
                    now) and wondered whether you have some suggestion regarding Docbook
                    4.5 and 5.0. There is now a schema for Docbook 4.2 in Emacs 22.

                    I know nothing about how to distinguish those in Emacs. How should the
                    schemas be named so that Emacs can pick the right version according to
                    the spec in the Docbook xml file?

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                      2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:

                      >>> Could you please explain how we should handle this in Emacs? (I have
                      >>> added Emacs Devel to the discussion.)
                      >>
                      >> Just my point. I don't think this should be an emacs issue
                      >> If you want docbook schema, html or any other schema
                      >> the end user should pick up that schema from the source
                      >> of that schema.
                      >
                      > Thanks. I see.
                      >
                      > I really think they should be part of Emacs distribution (as they are
                      > now) and wondered whether you have some suggestion regarding Docbook
                      > 4.5 and 5.0. There is now a schema for Docbook 4.2 in Emacs 22.

                      4.5 is the current Oasis standard.
                      As I said, either keep up or simply tell people where docbook is.
                      How many schemas are you going to try and manage?

                      Suggest, if you want to track docbook schemas, you point people
                      to the appropriate place, not fall n versions behind.

                      > I know nothing about how to distinguish those in Emacs.

                      Perhaps that's another good reason not to attempt to provide
                      docbook schemas for the emacs package you're delivering?

                      How should the
                      > schemas be named so that Emacs can pick the right version according to
                      > the spec in the Docbook xml file?

                      You need to see nxml-mode... the original.
                      James explained it there.

                      -
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                        On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

                        >>> Just my point. I don't think this should be an emacs issue
                        >>> If you want docbook schema, html or any other schema
                        >>> the end user should pick up that schema from the source
                        >>> of that schema.
                        >>
                        >> Thanks. I see.
                        >>
                        >> I really think they should be part of Emacs distribution (as they are
                        >> now) and wondered whether you have some suggestion regarding Docbook
                        >> 4.5 and 5.0. There is now a schema for Docbook 4.2 in Emacs 22.
                        >
                        > 4.5 is the current Oasis standard.
                        > As I said, either keep up or simply tell people where docbook is.
                        > How many schemas are you going to try and manage?
                        >
                        > Suggest, if you want to track docbook schemas, you point people
                        > to the appropriate place, not fall n versions behind.

                        It is a very good point to show them where to get the newest version
                        since Emacs and docbook schemas might not always be in sync. I think
                        that should be in the documentation for nxml-mode in Emacs.

                        But I think including schemas with Emacs is also very important. So I
                        would suggest checking this for every new Emacs release (to Emacs
                        Devel: Can we please put this in the to-do for new releases?).

                        >> I know nothing about how to distinguish those in Emacs.
                        >
                        > Perhaps that's another good reason not to attempt to provide
                        > docbook schemas for the emacs package you're delivering?
                        >
                        > How should the
                        >> schemas be named so that Emacs can pick the right version according to
                        >> the spec in the Docbook xml file?
                        >
                        > You need to see nxml-mode... the original.
                        > James explained it there.

                        Could you perhaps make a short summary? How do you yourself handle
                        this for example?
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                          2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:

                          > Could you perhaps make a short summary? How do you yourself handle
                          > this for example?

                          http://www.dpawson.co.uk/relaxng/nxml/schemaloc.html#d574e168

                          Full explanation in the documentation provided with
                          the original nxml-mode from JC

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                            On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:
                            > 2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:
                            >

                            >> Could you perhaps make a short summary? How do you yourself handle
                            >> this for example?
                            >>

                            > http://www.dpawson.co.uk/relaxng/nxml/schemaloc.html#d574e168

                            Thanks. So a doctypePublicId could be used to distinguish different
                            Docbook versions?

                            On the OASIS site I see that they do not distinguish rng files for
                            different Docbook versions by file name, but by file path/location. Is
                            that a convenient way in nxml-mode? Can you use for example

                            <typeId id="DocBook4.5" uri="docbook/dokbook4.5.rnc"/>

                            > Full explanation in the documentation provided with
                            > the original nxml-mode from JC
                            >
                            > --
                            > Dave Pawson
                            > XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
                            > Docbook FAQ.
                            > http://www.dpawson.co.uk

                          • wyuenho
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                              It seems that the xinclude grammar is directly merged into the docbook grammar. But xinclude is meant to be general purpose, how do people validate other xinclude documents if there's not a separate xinclude grammar that's easily extensible for other grammars?

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                                2009/8/7 wyuenho <wyuenho@...>:
                                > --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@...> wrote:
                                > It seems that the xinclude grammar is directly merged into the docbook grammar. But xinclude is meant to be general purpose, how do people validate other xinclude documents if there's not a separate xinclude grammar that's easily extensible for other grammars?

                                It is. It is also an xml namespaced element like any other?
                                Hence it needs to be declared in the schema for the instance you're generating
                                using nxml-mode.

                                Take the model from docbookxi.rnc

                                HTH

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 23, 2009

                                  > Thanks. So a doctypePublicId could be used to distinguish different
                                  > Docbook versions?

                                  As expressed in a DOCTYPE declaration of a document? Yes, it can.

                                  I've used that a lot for legacy formats.

                                  You can also match on the document element (i.e. the outermost element
                                  in an XML document), in two way:
                                  - local name, with an optional prefix
                                  - document element default namespace
                                  (but, curiously enough, not document element default name space and
                                  local name)

                                  And you can match on a processing instruction.

                                  And you can match on file URI, with wildcards (you can e.g. match on
                                  extensions).

                                  > On the OASIS site I see that they do not distinguish rng files for
                                  > different Docbook versions by file name, but by file path/location. Is
                                  > that a convenient way in nxml-mode? Can you use for example

                                  > <typeId id="DocBook4.5" uri="docbook/dokbook4.5.rnc"/>

                                  Without having actually tried it, I'm guessing yes. I have everything
                                  in a flat structure (how many schemas do one need? I have maven, and
                                  ant, and something called CPE, that I can no longer remember what is,
                                  and a custom version of docbook, all in a single directory, with a
                                  schemas.xml file), and no time to experiment.
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 23, 2009
                                    Thanks Steinar, I will look at this more later.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 23, 2009
                                      2009/8/23 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:
                                      > Thanks Steinar, I will look at this more later.

                                      This might be more appropriate on the docbook-apps mailing list?
                                      Certainly for the schema related questions.