Error message while starting Emacs with nxhtml mode autoloading

  • richard6905
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2008
      Having seen a reference to the nxhtml mode and how it provides full
      support for html and for embedded languages I downloaded and tried
      nxhtml mode.

      Initially I just downloaded the nxhtml mode and installed it on my
      pre-existing Emacs (v. 23), but this was throwing the following error
      during initialisation:

      Assertion failed: (html-site-dir-contains site-root path-in-site),
      c:/temp, c:/temp/in/hej.html

      After not managing to fix it, I decided to download and use the Emacs
      for Windows installer which includes the nxhtml. I removed the old
      version (left my Lisp directories in place) and installed the new
      version, but I'm still getting the same error.

      I can't even find any reference to hej.html anywhere in the nxhtml code!

      Help would be much appreciated...

      For the record, I downloaded the code today (10th July 2008), the
      binary file name is:

      Emacs-23-CvsP080630-EmacsW32-1.58.exe

      Richard
    • Lennart Borgman (gmail)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2008
        richard6905 wrote:

        > Having seen a reference to the nxhtml mode and how it provides full
        > support for html and for embedded languages I downloaded and tried
        > nxhtml mode.
        >
        > Initially I just downloaded the nxhtml mode and installed it on my
        > pre-existing Emacs (v. 23), but this was throwing the following error
        > during initialisation:
        >
        > Assertion failed: (html-site-dir-contains site-root path-in-site),
        > c:/temp, c:/temp/in/hej.html

        Hi Richard

        That was an unexpected problem. On the other hand that is what the
        assertion is there for ;-)

        Let us see if we can find out why it fails. Can you evaluate each of
        these lines and tell me the answer:

        (html-site-dir-contains "c:/temp" "c:/temp/in/hej.html")
        (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp/in/hej.html")
        (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp")
        (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/in/hej.html"))
        (file-name-as-directory (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/")))

        To do that you can put them in the *scratch* buffer, put point after
        each line and do `C-x C-e'.

        > After not managing to fix it, I decided to download and use the Emacs
        > for Windows installer which includes the nxhtml. I removed the old
        > version (left my Lisp directories in place) and installed the new
        > version, but I'm still getting the same error.
        >
        > I can't even find any reference to hej.html anywhere in the nxhtml code!
        >
        > Help would be much appreciated...
        >
        > For the record, I downloaded the code today (10th July 2008), the
        > binary file name is:
        >
        > Emacs-23-CvsP080630-EmacsW32-1.58.exe
        >
        > Richard
      • richard6905
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
          Hi Lennart,
          thanks for your reply. Here's the output of the lines you've listed:

          (html-site-dir-contains "c:/temp" "c:/temp/in/hej.html"):
          nil

          (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp/in/hej.html"):

          (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp"):

          (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/in/hej.html")):
          c:/temp/in/hej.html

          (file-name-as-directory (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/"))):
          c:/Temp/

          There is a c:\Temp directory, but as far as I'm aware, this doesn't
          have any specific Emacs related content.

          Hope this information helps.

          regards

          Richard

          --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
          <lennart.borgman@...> wrote:

          > richard6905 wrote:
          > >

          > > Having seen a reference to the nxhtml mode and how it provides full
          > > support for html and for embedded languages I downloaded and tried
          > > nxhtml mode.
          > >
          > > Initially I just downloaded the nxhtml mode and installed it on my
          > > pre-existing Emacs (v. 23), but this was throwing the following error
          > > during initialisation:
          > >
          > > Assertion failed: (html-site-dir-contains site-root path-in-site),
          > > c:/temp, c:/temp/in/hej.html
          >
          > Hi Richard
          >
          > That was an unexpected problem. On the other hand that is what the
          > assertion is there for ;-)
          >
          > Let us see if we can find out why it fails. Can you evaluate each of
          > these lines and tell me the answer:
          >
          > (html-site-dir-contains "c:/temp" "c:/temp/in/hej.html")
          > (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp/in/hej.html")
          > (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp")
          > (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/in/hej.html"))
          > (file-name-as-directory (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/")))
          >
          > To do that you can put them in the *scratch* buffer, put point after
          > each line and do `C-x C-e'.
          >

          > > After not managing to fix it, I decided to download and use the Emacs
          > > for Windows installer which includes the nxhtml. I removed the old
          > > version (left my Lisp directories in place) and installed the new
          > > version, but I'm still getting the same error.
          > >
          > > I can't even find any reference to hej.html anywhere in the nxhtml
          code!

          > > Help would be much appreciated...
          > >
          > > For the record, I downloaded the code today (10th July 2008), the
          > > binary file name is:
          > >
          > > Emacs-23-CvsP080630-EmacsW32-1.58.exe
          > >
          > > Richard

        • Lennart Borgman (gmail)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
            richard6905 wrote:

            > Hi Lennart,
            > thanks for your reply. Here's the output of the lines you've listed:
            >
            > (html-site-dir-contains "c:/temp" "c:/temp/in/hej.html"):
            > nil
            >
            > (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp/in/hej.html"):
            >
            > (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp"):
            >
            > (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/in/hej.html")):
            > c:/temp/in/hej.html

            Yes, great, this information helps. It looks like there is a bug in
            file-truename. At least I expect the result here to be

            c:/Temp/in/hej.html

            since you have a directory named "C:\Temp" with uppercase T. I will file
            a bug report.

            > (file-name-as-directory (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/"))):
            > c:/Temp/
            >
            > There is a c:\Temp directory, but as far as I'm aware, this doesn't
            > have any specific Emacs related content.
            >
            > Hope this information helps.
            >
            > regards
            >
            > Richard
          • Lennart Borgman (gmail)
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
              Richard,

              Please download the latest beta of nXhtml and try it. I have added a
              workaround for the Emacs bug (which was fixed in CVS Emacs 23 today).

              Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

              > richard6905 wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi Lennart,
              > > thanks for your reply. Here's the output of the lines you've listed:
              > >
              > > (html-site-dir-contains "c:/temp" "c:/temp/in/hej.html"):
              > > nil
              > >
              > > (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp/in/hej.html"):
              > >
              > > (html-site-looks-like-local-url "c:/temp"):
              > >
              > > (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/in/hej.html")):
              > > c:/temp/in/hej.html
              >
              > Yes, great, this information helps. It looks like there is a bug in
              > file-truename. At least I expect the result here to be
              >
              > c:/Temp/in/hej.html
              >
              > since you have a directory named "C:\Temp" with uppercase T. I will file
              > a bug report.
              >
              > > (file-name-as-directory (file-truename (expand-file-name "c:/temp/"))):
              > > c:/Temp/
              > >
              > > There is a c:\Temp directory, but as far as I'm aware, this doesn't
              > > have any specific Emacs related content.
              > >
              > > Hope this information helps.
              > >
              > > regards
              > >
              > > Richard

            • richard6905
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14, 2008
                Hi Lennart,
                thanks for that. I had to wait till this morning to try the fix as its
                actually my work computer which I was having the problem with.

                I'm no longer getting error messages, so I can now experiment. Thanks
                for your help.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14, 2008
                  Good, please let me know what you think.