nxml-mode, docbook, xinclude

  • rossburton42
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 9, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm using nxml-mode to validate my Docbook and so on as I write, but
      I've hit a small annoyance. In my current document I'm using XInclude
      to bring in source code snippets but nxml is for obviously reasons
      marking <xi:include .../> as invalid. Is there a way to get nxml-mode
      to ignore certain namespaces or some other cunning way around this?
      If I could say that all http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude namespaced
      nodes are valid anywhere (and then should be validated with another
      schema for bonus points) then that would be great.

      Cheers,
      Ross
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 9, 2008
        2008/6/9 rossburton42 <ross@...>:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm using nxml-mode to validate my Docbook and so on as I write, but
        > I've hit a small annoyance. In my current document I'm using XInclude
        > to bring in source code snippets but nxml is for obviously reasons
        > marking <xi:include .../> as invalid. Is there a way to get nxml-mode
        > to ignore certain namespaces or some other cunning way around this?

        Not really.

        I use it by having a top level (book or article)
        which is nearly empty, and uses xinclude.

        Then I write chapters (or sections) which validate OK
        using nxml-mode+docbook with an appropriate start element?

        That works.

        Then I use ant to expand xincludes and validate the temporary
        full document.

        HTH

      • rossburton42
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 9, 2008
          --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Pawson" > Not really.

          > I use it by having a top level (book or article)
          > which is nearly empty, and uses xinclude.
          >
          > Then I write chapters (or sections) which validate OK
          > using nxml-mode+docbook with an appropriate start element?
          >
          > That works.
          >
          > Then I use ant to expand xincludes and validate the temporary
          > full document.

          Shame. I'm using it to pull in source code so I don't need two
          copies, so that approach doesn't really work.

          Ross
        • Daniel Colascione
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 9, 2008
            On Monday 09 June 2008, rossburton42 wrote:
            > I'm using nxml-mode to validate my Docbook and so on as I write, but
            > I've hit a small annoyance. In my current document I'm using XInclude
            > to bring in source code snippets but nxml is for obviously reasons
            > marking <xi:include .../> as invalid. Is there a way to get nxml-mode
            > to ignore certain namespaces or some other cunning way around this?
            > If I could say that all http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude namespaced
            > nodes are valid anywhere (and then should be validated with another
            > schema for bonus points) then that would be great.

            The only way to do that currently is to modify the Relax NG schema.
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 9, 2008
              2008/6/9 rossburton42 <ross@...>:

              >> Then I use ant to expand xincludes and validate the temporary
              >> full document.
              >
              > Shame. I'm using it to pull in source code so I don't need two
              > copies, so that approach doesn't really work.

              The expanded copy is only used for validation,
              then dumped.

              I work on the 'chunks'.

              It does work. I've written quite a bit of docbook
              that way.

            • Norman Walsh
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 10, 2008
                / "rossburton42" <ross@...> was heard to say:
                | I've hit a small annoyance. In my current document I'm using XInclude
                | to bring in source code snippets but nxml is for obviously reasons
                | marking <xi:include .../> as invalid. Is there a way to get nxml-mode
                | to ignore certain namespaces or some other cunning way around this?

                You could use the DocBook RELAX NG grammar that includes XInclude :-)

                | If I could say that all http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude namespaced
                | nodes are valid anywhere (and then should be validated with another
                | schema for bonus points) then that would be great.

                You can probably do that with NVDL, but not in nxml-mode.

                Be seeing you,
                norm

                --
                Norman Walsh <ndw@...> | Ambition, n. An overmastering desire to
                http://nwalsh.com/ | be vilified by enemies while living and
                | ridiculed by friends when
                | dead.--Ambrose Bierce
              • wyuenho
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 6, 2009
                  --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Colascione <danc@...> wrote:

                  > On Monday 09 June 2008, rossburton42 wrote:
                  > > I'm using nxml-mode to validate my Docbook and so on as I write, but
                  > > I've hit a small annoyance. In my current document I'm using XInclude
                  > > to bring in source code snippets but nxml is for obviously reasons
                  > > marking <xi:include .../> as invalid. Is there a way to get nxml-mode
                  > > to ignore certain namespaces or some other cunning way around this?
                  > > If I could say that all http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude namespaced
                  > > nodes are valid anywhere (and then should be validated with another
                  > > schema for bonus points) then that would be great.
                  >
                  > The only way to do that currently is to modify the Relax NG schema.

                  I've rewritten the Xinclude grammar in nXhtml to conform to the official Xinclude XSD. If this is useful for you can you double check it and maybe add the productions rules in Docbook's grammar?

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 6, 2009
                    2009/8/7 wyuenho <wyuenho@...>:
                    > --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Colascione <danc@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> On Monday 09 June 2008, rossburton42 wrote:
                    >> > I'm using nxml-mode to validate my Docbook and so on as I write, but
                    >> > I've hit a small annoyance.  In my current document I'm using XInclude
                    >> > to bring in source code snippets but nxml is for obviously reasons
                    >> > marking <xi:include .../> as invalid.

                    You should be using the docbook v5 schema.
                    nxml-mode has that as valid.

                    > I've rewritten the Xinclude grammar in nXhtml to conform to the official Xinclude XSD.

                    Already done by the docbook group at Oasis.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                      On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

                      > 2009/8/7 wyuenho <wyuenho@...>:
                      >
                      >> --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Colascione <danc@...>
                      >> wrote:

                      > You should be using the docbook v5 schema.
                      > nxml-mode has that as valid.

                      But that is only included in Emacs 23, not the standalone nxml-mode
                      that Emacs 22 users download.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                        2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:

                        >> You should be using the docbook v5 schema.
                        >> nxml-mode has that as valid.
                        >
                        > But that is only included in Emacs 23, not the standalone nxml-mode
                        > that Emacs 22 users download.

                        The question was about docbook?
                        I don't think even your nxml-mode includes that (nor should it?)

                        docbook is available from sourceforge. With the schema
                        for v5, from which the rnc can be added to nxml-mode
                        with no problem.

                        HTH

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                          On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

                          > 2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:
                          >
                          >>> You should be using the docbook v5 schema.
                          >>> nxml-mode has that as valid.
                          >>
                          >> But that is only included in Emacs 23, not the standalone nxml-mode
                          >> that Emacs 22 users download.
                          >
                          > The question was about docbook?
                          > I don't think even your nxml-mode includes that (nor should it?)

                          It is included in the nxml-mode that comes with Emacs 23.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                            2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:

                            >> The question was about docbook?
                            >> I don't think even your nxml-mode includes that (nor should it?)
                            >

                            > It is included in the nxml-mode that comes with Emacs 23.
                            >

                            >> docbook is available from sourceforge. With the schema
                            >> for v5, from which the rnc can be added to nxml-mode
                            >> with no problem.

                            Then either pick up both versions, 4.5 and 5.0 (and keep
                            them up to date I guess) or link to where the schemas
                            can be picked up.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                              On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

                              >> It is included in the nxml-mode that comes with Emacs 23.
                              >>

                              >>> docbook is available from sourceforge. With the schema
                              >>> for v5, from which the rnc can be added to nxml-mode
                              >>> with no problem.
                              >
                              > Then either pick up both versions, 4.5 and 5.0 (and keep
                              > them up to date I guess) or link to where the schemas
                              > can be picked up.

                              Could you please explain how we should handle this in Emacs? (I have
                              added Emacs Devel to the discussion.)
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                                2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:
                                > On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >>> It is included in the nxml-mode that comes with Emacs 23.

                                >> Then either pick up both versions, 4.5 and 5.0 (and keep
                                >> them up to date I guess) or link to where the schemas
                                >> can be picked up.
                                >
                                > Could you please explain how we should handle this in Emacs? (I have
                                > added Emacs Devel to the discussion.)

                                Just my point. I don't think this should be an emacs issue
                                If you want docbook schema, html or any other schema
                                the end user should pick up that schema from the source
                                of that schema.

                                Hence my earlier comments.

                                I stated, the docbook v5 schema includes xinclude within it.

                                which is what the OP wanted, or was missing

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                                  On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

                                  >>> Then either pick up both versions, 4.5 and 5.0 (and keep
                                  >>> them up to date I guess) or link to where the schemas
                                  >>> can be picked up.
                                  >>
                                  >> Could you please explain how we should handle this in Emacs? (I have
                                  >> added Emacs Devel to the discussion.)
                                  >
                                  > Just my point. I don't think this should be an emacs issue
                                  > If you want docbook schema, html or any other schema
                                  > the end user should pick up that schema from the source
                                  > of that schema.

                                  Thanks. I see.

                                  I really think they should be part of Emacs distribution (as they are
                                  now) and wondered whether you have some suggestion regarding Docbook
                                  4.5 and 5.0. There is now a schema for Docbook 4.2 in Emacs 22.

                                  I know nothing about how to distinguish those in Emacs. How should the
                                  schemas be named so that Emacs can pick the right version according to
                                  the spec in the Docbook xml file?

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                                    2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:

                                    >>> Could you please explain how we should handle this in Emacs? (I have
                                    >>> added Emacs Devel to the discussion.)
                                    >>
                                    >> Just my point. I don't think this should be an emacs issue
                                    >> If you want docbook schema, html or any other schema
                                    >> the end user should pick up that schema from the source
                                    >> of that schema.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks. I see.
                                    >
                                    > I really think they should be part of Emacs distribution (as they are
                                    > now) and wondered whether you have some suggestion regarding Docbook
                                    > 4.5 and 5.0. There is now a schema for Docbook 4.2 in Emacs 22.

                                    4.5 is the current Oasis standard.
                                    As I said, either keep up or simply tell people where docbook is.
                                    How many schemas are you going to try and manage?

                                    Suggest, if you want to track docbook schemas, you point people
                                    to the appropriate place, not fall n versions behind.

                                    > I know nothing about how to distinguish those in Emacs.

                                    Perhaps that's another good reason not to attempt to provide
                                    docbook schemas for the emacs package you're delivering?

                                    How should the
                                    > schemas be named so that Emacs can pick the right version according to
                                    > the spec in the Docbook xml file?

                                    You need to see nxml-mode... the original.
                                    James explained it there.

                                    -
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                                      On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:

                                      >>> Just my point. I don't think this should be an emacs issue
                                      >>> If you want docbook schema, html or any other schema
                                      >>> the end user should pick up that schema from the source
                                      >>> of that schema.
                                      >>
                                      >> Thanks. I see.
                                      >>
                                      >> I really think they should be part of Emacs distribution (as they are
                                      >> now) and wondered whether you have some suggestion regarding Docbook
                                      >> 4.5 and 5.0. There is now a schema for Docbook 4.2 in Emacs 22.
                                      >
                                      > 4.5 is the current Oasis standard.
                                      > As I said, either keep up or simply tell people where docbook is.
                                      > How many schemas are you going to try and manage?
                                      >
                                      > Suggest, if you want to track docbook schemas, you point people
                                      > to the appropriate place, not fall n versions behind.

                                      It is a very good point to show them where to get the newest version
                                      since Emacs and docbook schemas might not always be in sync. I think
                                      that should be in the documentation for nxml-mode in Emacs.

                                      But I think including schemas with Emacs is also very important. So I
                                      would suggest checking this for every new Emacs release (to Emacs
                                      Devel: Can we please put this in the to-do for new releases?).

                                      >> I know nothing about how to distinguish those in Emacs.
                                      >
                                      > Perhaps that's another good reason not to attempt to provide
                                      > docbook schemas for the emacs package you're delivering?
                                      >
                                      > How should the
                                      >> schemas be named so that Emacs can pick the right version according to
                                      >> the spec in the Docbook xml file?
                                      >
                                      > You need to see nxml-mode... the original.
                                      > James explained it there.

                                      Could you perhaps make a short summary? How do you yourself handle
                                      this for example?
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                                        2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:

                                        > Could you perhaps make a short summary? How do you yourself handle
                                        > this for example?

                                        http://www.dpawson.co.uk/relaxng/nxml/schemaloc.html#d574e168

                                        Full explanation in the documentation provided with
                                        the original nxml-mode from JC

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                                          On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@...> wrote:
                                          > 2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:
                                          >

                                          >> Could you perhaps make a short summary? How do you yourself handle
                                          >> this for example?
                                          >>

                                          > http://www.dpawson.co.uk/relaxng/nxml/schemaloc.html#d574e168

                                          Thanks. So a doctypePublicId could be used to distinguish different
                                          Docbook versions?

                                          On the OASIS site I see that they do not distinguish rng files for
                                          different Docbook versions by file name, but by file path/location. Is
                                          that a convenient way in nxml-mode? Can you use for example

                                          <typeId id="DocBook4.5" uri="docbook/dokbook4.5.rnc"/>

                                          > Full explanation in the documentation provided with
                                          > the original nxml-mode from JC
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Dave Pawson
                                          > XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
                                          > Docbook FAQ.
                                          > http://www.dpawson.co.uk

                                        • wyuenho
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                                            It seems that the xinclude grammar is directly merged into the docbook grammar. But xinclude is meant to be general purpose, how do people validate other xinclude documents if there's not a separate xinclude grammar that's easily extensible for other grammars?

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 7, 2009
                                              2009/8/7 wyuenho <wyuenho@...>:
                                              > --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@...> wrote:
                                              > It seems that the xinclude grammar is directly merged into the docbook grammar. But xinclude is meant to be general purpose, how do people validate other xinclude documents if there's not a separate xinclude grammar that's easily extensible for other grammars?

                                              It is. It is also an xml namespaced element like any other?
                                              Hence it needs to be declared in the schema for the instance you're generating
                                              using nxml-mode.

                                              Take the model from docbookxi.rnc

                                              HTH

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 23, 2009

                                                > Thanks. So a doctypePublicId could be used to distinguish different
                                                > Docbook versions?

                                                As expressed in a DOCTYPE declaration of a document? Yes, it can.

                                                I've used that a lot for legacy formats.

                                                You can also match on the document element (i.e. the outermost element
                                                in an XML document), in two way:
                                                - local name, with an optional prefix
                                                - document element default namespace
                                                (but, curiously enough, not document element default name space and
                                                local name)

                                                And you can match on a processing instruction.

                                                And you can match on file URI, with wildcards (you can e.g. match on
                                                extensions).

                                                > On the OASIS site I see that they do not distinguish rng files for
                                                > different Docbook versions by file name, but by file path/location. Is
                                                > that a convenient way in nxml-mode? Can you use for example

                                                > <typeId id="DocBook4.5" uri="docbook/dokbook4.5.rnc"/>

                                                Without having actually tried it, I'm guessing yes. I have everything
                                                in a flat structure (how many schemas do one need? I have maven, and
                                                ant, and something called CPE, that I can no longer remember what is,
                                                and a custom version of docbook, all in a single directory, with a
                                                schemas.xml file), and no time to experiment.
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 23, 2009
                                                  Thanks Steinar, I will look at this more later.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 23, 2009
                                                    2009/8/23 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@...>:
                                                    > Thanks Steinar, I will look at this more later.

                                                    This might be more appropriate on the docbook-apps mailing list?
                                                    Certainly for the schema related questions.