Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] let's do something about spam

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
      2008/5/31 Xah Lee <xah@...>:
      > i just installed nxml and joined this group.
      >
      > however, first 2 messages i got was spam. I was going to unsubscribe but i thought...
      >
      > Can we do something about that?
      >
      > yahoo groups allow groups of moderators... so we can set the group to mod and filter out
      > just the bot spams... i run a few yahoo groups... usually what i do is simply not allowing bot
      > posts to go thru.

      I am a moderator of this group.
      I do delete spam, and remove the sender.
      It is an open list so I can't stop new ones
      joining.

    • Xah Lee
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi Dave Pawson,

        Great. Thanks.

        I was thinking we can make the group moderated, if the spam continues. Because i know
        for one person to handle the drudge of deleting spams daily may be too much.

        Btw, i was wondering whether nxml mode should become part of gnu emacs? Or, anyone
        know how it compares to emacs default?

        i havn't worked with xml much, but recently dl'd nxml and read about it. Seems the
        thousand lines with full parser is real quality work.

        Xah

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
          2008/6/3 Xah Lee <xah@...>:
          > Hi Dave Pawson,
          >
          > Great. Thanks.
          >
          > I was thinking we can make the group moderated, if the spam continues. Because i know
          > for one person to handle the drudge of deleting spams daily may be too much.
          >
          > Btw, i was wondering whether nxml mode should become part of gnu emacs? Or, anyone
          > know how it compares to emacs default?

          The fork that is using nxml-mode for xhtml seems to have done that. I
          doubt it has
          been declared a fork though.

          Which emacs default? sgml-mode/xml-mode?

          > i havn't worked with xml much, but recently dl'd nxml and read about it. Seems the
          > thousand lines with full parser is real quality work.

          It is. The guy who wrote it is a bit of a genius, lots of really impressive
          code, all (AFAIK) open sourced.

        • Jason Rumney
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
            Dave Pawson wrote:
            > The fork that is using nxml-mode for xhtml seems to have done that. I
            > doubt it has been declared a fork though.

            I think you misunderstand here. James Clark assigned nxml to the FSF so
            it could be included in Emacs. The version in Emacs CVS was taken from
            James's official site, not from any fork.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
              2008/6/4 Jason Rumney <jasonr@...>:

              > I think you misunderstand here. James Clark assigned nxml to the FSF so
              > it could be included in Emacs. The version in Emacs CVS was taken from
              > James's official site, not from any fork.

              Thanks, in which case I did misunderstand.