Discussion of nxml-mode and other XML modes in Emacs

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
      There is a discussion on Emacs Devel
      (http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-devel) about this right now.

      It would be good if someone with good knowledge about this stepped in
      and gave some comments.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
        On 18/06/07, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@...> wrote:
        > There is a discussion on Emacs Devel
        > (http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-devel) about this right now.
        >
        > It would be good if someone with good knowledge about this stepped in
        > and gave some comments.

        Only just subscribed.
        Could you give a summary please Lennart.
        The archives aren't up to date as yet.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
          Lennart Borgman wrote:

          Hi

          > There is a discussion on Emacs Devel
          > (http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-devel) about
          > this right now.

          > It would be good if someone with good knowledge about this
          > stepped in and gave some comments.

          Could you please give a link to the specific thread?

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
            Florent Georges wrote:
            > Lennart Borgman wrote:
            >
            > Hi
            >
            >> There is a discussion on Emacs Devel
            >> (http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-devel) about
            >> this right now.
            >
            >> It would be good if someone with good knowledge about this
            >> stepped in and gave some comments.
            >
            > Could you please give a link to the specific thread?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > --drkm

            Start here for example:

            http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg01147.html
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
              Dave Pawson wrote:
              > On 18/06/07, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@...> wrote:
              >> There is a discussion on Emacs Devel
              >> (http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-devel) about this right now.
              >>
              >> It would be good if someone with good knowledge about this stepped in
              >> and gave some comments.
              >
              > Only just subscribed.
              > Could you give a summary please Lennart.
              > The archives aren't up to date as yet.

              I just sent a message with an URL to the current discussion.

              Things like XPath, XQuery etc are beeing mentioned here:

              http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg01180.html

              Earler someone named Leo wanted nXml to be added to Emacs:

              http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg00637.html

              I of course want that too and gave some thoughts about what I think
              should be good, ie breaking out the parser. (You may dislike what I said
              there, please do not hesitate to give your view!)

              I realize that much more could be done, but I also realize I do not have
              enough knowledge about those things. For example, how can XML Schema be
              supported with nXml? (What I have is some experience working with the
              nXml code, trying to use it in nXhtml -- but that is a quite different
              thing.)
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
                On 18/06/07, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@...> wrote:

                > Start here for example:
                >
                > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg01147.html

                I'm now of the opinion that Nic wants the world, with jam on it.
                A parser,
                Editor,
                Then dom programming capability?

                The Schematron class of validation as well?

                Either he isn't sure of what he wants or he is confusing emacs
                with other tools.

                I don't think it's worth worrying about Lennart?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
                  On 18/06/07, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@...> wrote:

                  > I just sent a message with an URL to the current discussion.
                  >
                  > Things like XPath, XQuery etc are beeing mentioned

                  Thanks, I've skimmed them.

                  > Earler someone named Leo wanted nXml to be added to Emacs:
                  >
                  > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg00637.html

                  I must admit that hadn't crossed my mind. Good idea though.

                  > I of course want that too and gave some thoughts about what I think
                  > should be good, ie breaking out the parser. (You may dislike what I said
                  > there, please do not hesitate to give your view!)
                  I'm shown in the archive you gave, but havn't had those replies
                  after I subscribed.

                  > I realize that much more could be done, but I also realize I do not have
                  > enough knowledge about those things. For example, how can XML Schema be
                  > supported with nXml? (What I have is some experience working with the
                  > nXml code, trying to use it in nXhtml -- but that is a quite different
                  > thing.)

                  I'd hope that nxml-mode users would have more sense than to want
                  to use XML schema!! End biassed comments.

                  Trang can mostly convert xsd to rng if you need to use them though.

                  I'm a member of the Oasis ODF WG, if he's got real criticisms of the schema
                  that's where they should go. I'm happy to forward his comments if he
                  provides any.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
                    Dave Pawson wrote:
                    > On 18/06/07, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Start here for example:
                    >>
                    >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg01147.html
                    >

                    > I'm now of the opinion that Nic wants the world, with jam on it.

                    It is not spelt J A M, it should be E M A C S ;-)

                    Eh, or did it mean "It is not spelt W O R L D ..."?

                    > A parser,
                    > Editor,
                    > Then dom programming capability?
                    >
                    > The Schematron class of validation as well?
                    >
                    > Either he isn't sure of what he wants or he is confusing emacs
                    > with other tools.
                    >
                    > I don't think it's worth worrying about Lennart?

                    Thanks, I do not worry, Dave, I just thought that the input from people
                    here (who knows far more than me about XML) to the devel list could be
                    valuable.

                    I have got the impression that people here are mostly experts in XML and
                    on Emacs Devel people are kind of experts in Emacs/Elisp.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
                      Dave Pawson wrote:

                      > I'd hope that nxml-mode users would have more sense than to want
                      > to use XML schema!! End biassed comments.
                      >
                      > Trang can mostly convert xsd to rng if you need to use them though.

                      Thanks, that is good to know. I have probably read that a lot of times
                      whithout understanding it clearly.

                      Because of those little discussions I just took some time to dig into it
                      (on the surface only, unfortunately).

                      > I'm a member of the Oasis ODF WG, if he's got real criticisms of the schema
                      > that's where they should go. I'm happy to forward his comments if he
                      > provides any.

                      Perhaps you should mention those things on the Emacs Devel list (both
                      Trang and Oasis)?
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 18, 2007
                        On 18/06/07, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@...> wrote:

                        > > I'm now of the opinion that Nic wants the world, with jam on it.
                        >
                        > It is not spelt J A M, it should be E M A C S ;-)
                        >
                        > Eh, or did it mean "It is not spelt W O R L D ..."?

                        Sorry. My prejudice. I assume everyone understands English expressions.
                        I meant he wants too much functionality from one 'free' product.

                        > > I don't think it's worth worrying about Lennart?
                        >
                        > Thanks, I do not worry, Dave, I just thought that the input from people
                        > here (who knows far more than me about XML) to the devel list could be
                        > valuable.
                        >
                        > I have got the impression that people here are mostly experts in XML and
                        > on Emacs Devel people are kind of experts in Emacs/Elisp.

                        I'd agree with that. In general.
                        It takes someone like James Clark to say 'I want an editor'
                        then learn emacs (I feel it took him 23 minutes :-) and write
                        an editor!

                        I mailed him when he was designing relax NG and said it would
                        be adopted much easier if an editor supported it.

                        Two years later he mailed me back and said, 'here you are'!

                        I was amazed.

                        Amazing guy is James.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 19, 2007

                          > Trang can mostly convert xsd to rng if you need to use them though.

                          It can? I thought it was the other way around? Ie. from RNG and RNC
                          to other schemas, and between the two representations of RNG?

                          For XSD to RNG, there is this:
                          https://msv.dev.java.net/
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 20, 2007
                            On 19/06/07, Steinar Bang <sb@...> wrote:

                            > > Trang can mostly convert xsd to rng if you need to use them though.
                            >
                            > It can? I thought it was the other way around? Ie. from RNG and RNC
                            > to other schemas, and between the two representations of RNG?
                            >
                            > For XSD to RNG, there is this:
                            > https://msv.dev.java.net/

                            Sorry, yes. rngconv is the tool for that direction.