Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] Using rng*.el for css mode

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
      Lennart Borgman wrote:

      Hi

      > Would it be possible to use the rng*.el files that comes with
      > nxml-mode to write a new mode for CSS files? Any tips about
      > what is needed to do that?

      It depends what you want to do. I guess this is about completion
      against a schema? So you can use 'rng-c-parse-file' to parse an RNC
      schema. The structure of its result is documented at the top of
      rng-pttrn.el.

      http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
    • Chris Chiasson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
        isn't there already an emacs major mode for css?

        --
        http://chris.chiasson.name/
      • Edward O'Connor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
          [This is a re-send; apologies if it shows up on the list twice.]

          Chris Chiasson wrote:

          > isn't there already an emacs major mode for css?

          Several even. I've tried several and have been most happy with this one:

          http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/software/css-mode/css-mode.el

          Ted

          --
          Edward O'Connor
          hober0@...

          Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
            Edward O'Connor wrote:

            > > isn't there already an emacs major mode for css?

            > Several even. I've tried several and have been most happy with this
            > one:

            > http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/software/css-mode/css-mode.el

            I didn't study it in details, but it seems to not support completion
            against a schema. Since Lennart (mmh, he was Lennart, right?) spook
            about rng-*.el libraries, I guess he plans to provide such a completion
            system (it is just a guess).

            As I never wrote a complex CSS file, I don't know if it could be
            usefull (but I guess so).

            http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
              Florent Georges wrote:
              > Lennart Borgman wrote:
              >
              > Hi
              >

              >> Would it be possible to use the rng*.el files that comes with
              >> nxml-mode to write a new mode for CSS files? Any tips about
              >> what is needed to do that?
              >>

              > It depends what you want to do. I guess this is about completion
              > against a schema? So you can use 'rng-c-parse-file' to parse an RNC
              > schema. The structure of its result is documented at the top of
              > rng-pttrn.el.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > --drkm

              Thanks drkm, that was what I had in mind. Context sensitive completion.
              I will have a look and see how much trouble it is.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
                Lennart Borgman wrote:

                Hi

                > Thanks drkm, that was what I had in mind. Context sensitive
                > completion.
                > I will have a look and see how much trouble it is.

                You can also take a look at 'nxml-complete' to see an example of use.
                Note I never look at this code, so I don't know if it is complex or
                not (it has to deal with the context maintained by nXML, but in this
                context I guess that's not too complex).

                http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
                  Edward O'Connor wrote:
                  > [This is a re-send; apologies if it shows up on the list twice.]
                  >
                  > Chris Chiasson wrote:
                  >

                  >> isn't there already an emacs major mode for css?
                  >>

                  > Several even. I've tried several and have been most happy with this one:
                  >
                  > http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/software/css-mode/css-mode.el

                  Thanks Ted. I know about these modes (from
                  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CascadingStyleSheetMode). However
                  does any of those have context sensitive completion?
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
                    Florent Georges wrote:
                    > Lennart Borgman wrote:
                    >
                    > Hi
                    >

                    >> Thanks drkm, that was what I had in mind. Context sensitive
                    >> completion.
                    >> I will have a look and see how much trouble it is.
                    >>

                    > You can also take a look at 'nxml-complete' to see an example of use.
                    > Note I never look at this code, so I don't know if it is complex or
                    > not (it has to deal with the context maintained by nXML, but in this
                    > context I guess that's not too complex).

                    I have played a little bit with nxtml-complete in nxhtml-mode and I did
                    find it rather complex. However in the case of css it looks much easier
                    to restart the parsing.

                    A problem is of course that much of this is over my head. But since
                    someone (JC) has done the difficult parts maybe it is possible to borrow
                    some small things ... ;-)