jar files [OT]

    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2006
      On my win2k box, emacs quite happily
      reads .jar files as a 'directory'.

      On Fedora I get a heap of garbage.

      Is there an emacs 'mode' or something
      that enables this please?

      regards
      Frustrated of Frodsham.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2006
        Dave Pawson wrote:
        > On my win2k box, emacs quite happily
        > reads .jar files as a 'directory'.
        >
        > On Fedora I get a heap of garbage.
        >
        > Is there an emacs 'mode' or something
        > that enables this please?
        >
        > regards
        > Frustrated of Frodsham.
        >

        > --
        > Dave Pawson
        > XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
        > http://www.dpawson.co.uk

        I do not know older versions of Emacs, but I assume that you are running
        a CVS version of Emas on win2k since this works. What versions are you
        running?
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2006
          On 04/05/06, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@...> wrote:
          > Dave Pawson wrote:
          > > On my win2k box, emacs quite happily
          > > reads .jar files as a 'directory'.

          > I do not know older versions of Emacs, but I assume that you are running
          > a CVS version of Emacs on win2k since this works. What versions are you
          > running?

          21.3.1 so no, not recent.
          I downloaded this from the ntemacs site prior to it crashing and burning.

        • Norman Walsh
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2006
            / "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@...> was heard to say:
            | On my win2k box, emacs quite happily
            | reads .jar files as a 'directory'.
            |
            | On Fedora I get a heap of garbage.
            |
            | Is there an emacs 'mode' or something
            | that enables this please?

            <guess class='random'>tar-mode</guess>

            Be seeing you,
            norm

            --
            Norman Walsh <normyahoo@...> | Use the memory of thy predecessor
            http://nwalsh.com/ | fairly, and tenderly; for if thou
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2006
              Norman Walsh wrote:

              > <guess class='random'>tar-mode</guess>

              Here (GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2006-01-29) it
              is 'archive-mode' (with the proper entry in 'auto-mode-alist', off
              course).

              Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services préférés : vérifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualité en temps réel.
              Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2006
                On 08/05/06, Norman Walsh <normyahoo@...> wrote:
                > | Is there an emacs 'mode' or something
                > | that enables this please?
                >
                > <guess class='random'>tar-mode</guess>

                On my windows box (which shows them 'properly')
                M-x tar-mode or
                M-x archive-mode
                and I get no response.

                But, following that (and reading
                http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/emacs_167.html)

                Zip-Archive mode:
                Major mode for viewing an archive file in a dired-like way.
                You can move around using the usual cursor motion commands.
                Letters no longer insert themselves.
                Type `e' to pull a file out of the archive and into its own buffer;
                or click mouse-2 on the file's line in the archive mode buffer.

                which seems to match.
                Thanks Norm, Florent.
                I'll try it on Fedora.