Auto Completion > invalid tags table

  • arbogast37
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 23 4:45 AM
      I am using nxml-mode in Aquamacs emacs for the Macintosh.

      I cannot get auto-completion to work. I get a message saying that I have an invalid tags
      table.

      What am I doing wrong?

      Thank you.
    • Victor Anyakin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26 12:05 AM
        On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:45:34PM -0000, arbogast37 wrote:
        > I am using nxml-mode in Aquamacs emacs for the Macintosh.
        >
        > I cannot get auto-completion to work. I get a message saying that I have an invalid tags
        > table.
        >
        > What am I doing wrong?

        Could you please tell a bit more about what are you doing at all?

        I mean, when do you get that message?

        --
        Victor Anyakin () ascii ribbon campaign
        /\ - against html mail
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 26 12:53 AM
          Victor Anyakin wrote:

          > On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:45:34PM -0000, arbogast37 wrote:

          > > I cannot get auto-completion to work. I get a message
          > > saying that I have an invalid tags table.

          > > What am I doing wrong?

          > Could you please tell a bit more about what are you
          > doing at all?

          > I mean, when do you get that message?

          And more precisely all the steps needed to reproduce the problem (if
          possible).

          BTW, I didn't see the original post and can't find it in the
          archives. Is it my email box or come it from an other list?

        • John Gage
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28 7:36 AM
            In nxml-mode C-RET is supposed to auto-complete the start tag. It
            doesn't in Aquamacs Emacs because C-RET is used by the minor mode cua-
            mode.

            I don't believe I need cua-mode. How can I turn cua-mode off and re-
            map C-RET in nxml-mode?

            Please forgive the elementary nature of this question...

            Thanks,

            JG
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28 1:43 PM
              John Gage wrote:
              > In nxml-mode C-RET is supposed to auto-complete the start tag. It
              > doesn't in Aquamacs Emacs because C-RET is used by the minor mode cua-
              > mode.
              >
              > I don't believe I need cua-mode. How can I turn cua-mode off and re-
              > map C-RET in nxml-mode?

              M-x cua-mode

              This toggles cua-mode on/off.

              You may also set nxml-bind-meta-tab-to-complete-flag to t. This will
              allow the use of M-Tab for completion. The documentation for
              nxml-bind-meta-tab-to-complete-flag says that the window manager in many
              cases use M-Tab (so Emacs does not see it). This is not entirely
              correct. The window managers often uses Alt-Tab, not M-Tab. If Emacs
              META is set to Alt then they are the same of course, but that is not
              necessary.
            • John Gage
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 28 9:41 PM
                Aquamacs, a Mac version of emacs employing the Aqua mac interface, has nxml-mode activated in its distribution version.

                Unfortunately, the default state does not toggle nxml-bind-meta-tab-to-complete-flag to true.  So, to get *any* auto-completion of tags, you have to toggle that to true.

                On mac portables, pressing the "alt" (option) key and the tab key simultaneously is very difficult, because there is only one "alt" key on the *left* side of the space bar.  Hence, C-RET is a better option.

                Unfortunately, cua-mode is toggled on in the distribution version, and, I believe, because it is a minor mode, it is very hard to get rid of its rather arcane usage of C-RET.

                However, Lennart's solution works admirably.  The moment cua-mode is toggled off, C-RET works in nxml-mode.  Hooray!

                Thanking you,

                JG

                On Jan 28, 2006, at 10:43 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:

                John Gage wrote:
                > In nxml-mode C-RET is supposed to auto-complete the start tag.  It
                > doesn't in Aquamacs Emacs because C-RET is used by the minor mode cua-
                > mode.
                >
                > I don't believe I need cua-mode.  How can I turn cua-mode off and re-
                > map C-RET in nxml-mode?

                M-x cua-mode

                This toggles cua-mode on/off.

                You may also set nxml-bind-meta-tab-to-complete-flag to t. This will
                allow the use of M-Tab for completion. The documentation for
                nxml-bind-meta-tab-to-complete-flag says that the window manager in many
                cases use M-Tab (so Emacs does not see it). This is not entirely
                correct. The window managers often uses Alt-Tab, not M-Tab. If Emacs
                META is set to Alt then they are the same of course, but that is not
                necessary.

                Computer internet security Computer internet business Computer internet access
                Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help Xml development

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31 9:00 AM
                  John Gage wrote:
                  > Aquamacs, a Mac version of emacs employing the Aqua mac interface, has
                  > nxml-mode activated in its distribution version.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, the default state does not toggle
                  > nxml-bind-meta-tab-to-complete-flag to true. So, to get *any*
                  > auto-completion of tags, you have to toggle that to true.
                  >
                  > On mac portables, pressing the "alt" (option) key and the tab key
                  > simultaneously is very difficult, because there is only one "alt" key
                  > on the *left* side of the space bar. Hence, C-RET is a better option.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, cua-mode is toggled on in the distribution version,
                  > and, I believe, because it is a minor mode, it is very hard to get rid
                  > of its rather arcane usage of C-RET.
                  >
                  > However, Lennart's solution works admirably. The moment cua-mode is
                  > toggled off, C-RET works in nxml-mode. Hooray!
                  >
                  > Thanking you,
                  Have you heard of "StickyModifiers"? Please take a look at
                  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/StickyModifiers and add
                  information for Mac if you happen to know how this works on Mac.
                • John Gage
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31 10:07 AM
                    Lennart,
                      Thank you again once again for advising me about cua-mode.
                      Turning "Sticky Keys" on in the Macintosh is extremely easy (OSX 10.4.4).  One goes to "Universal Access" in "System Preferences" and selects "Keyboard" in the horizontal menu across the top of the screen.  It is self-explanatory from there on.
                      And it works.  And it makes using Emacs easier.  Seeing that Emacs is very close to being a miracle, that's saying a lot.
                    John

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31 2:07 PM
                      Thanks John, I added that information to EmacsWiki.