Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] Using both XSLT 1.0 and XSLT 2.0 schemas

  • Sebastian Rahtz
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
      Norman Walsh wrote:

      >What I haven't tried to handle is finer-granularity, like an XSLT 2.0
      >xsl:analyze-string in an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet. But I just don't do that
      >very often.

      how can it it be legal, if you do?

      --
      Sebastian Rahtz

      http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk
    • Norman Walsh
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
        / Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@...> was heard to say:
        | Norman Walsh wrote:
        |
        |>What I haven't tried to handle is finer-granularity, like an XSLT 2.0
        |>xsl:analyze-string in an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet. But I just don't do that
        |>very often.
        |>

        | how can it it be legal, if you do?

        XSLT 1.0 has "forwards compatible processing". XSLT 2.0 has "backwards
        compatible processing". Basically, if you hand it to an XSLT 1.0
        processor, you had better have included an xsl:fallback for the
        analyze-string element. If you hand it to a 2.0 processor, it'll treat
        the rest of the stylesheet in "backwards compatibility" mode.

        Be seeing you,
        norm

        --
        Norman Walsh <normyahoo@...> | Wherever they burn books they
        http://nwalsh.com/ | will also, in the end, burn human
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
          Norman Walsh wrote:

          > The salient bit is to tell nxml-mode to use this schema for
          > validating XSLT:

          > xslt10 = external "xslt10.rnc"
          > xslt20 = external "xslt20.rnc"
          > start = xslt10 | xslt20

          > This is a schema that validates XSLT 1.0 stylesheets
          > (selected with version='1.0') as XSLT 1.0 and XSLT 2.0
          > as XSLT 2.0).

          Indeed! Why didn't think about that myself ?-)

          > What I haven't tried to handle is finer-granularity,
          > like an XSLT 2.0 xsl:analyze-string in an XSLT 1.0
          > stylesheet. But I just don't do that very often.

          Neither me. If I use XSLT 2.0 features, @version = '2.0'. I don't
          want to deal with backward-compatibility issues. IMHO, in thee cases,
          a customised grammar is needed.

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006

            For example if @version = '0.5' ;-)

            > XSLT 2.0 has "backwards compatible processing".

            And "forwards", too.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
              drkm wrote:

              > Norman Walsh wrote:

              > > xslt10 = external "xslt10.rnc"
              > > xslt20 = external "xslt20.rnc"
              > > start = xslt10 | xslt20

              > > This is a schema that validates XSLT 1.0 stylesheets
              > > (selected with version='1.0') as XSLT 1.0 and XSLT 2.0
              > > as XSLT 2.0).

              > Indeed! Why didn't think about that myself ?-)

              It's funny. I just went to my schemas.xml file and my RNC schemas
              repository, and I already had this schema. But not hooked in
              schemas.xml :-D.

              I guess I went to norman.walsh.name some months ago and was disturbed
              while installing this...

              Anyway, thanks for the response,