Web page seems fine in nxml-mode but does not validate

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
      I was a bit surprised when I looked through the Web Developers Tools in
      FireFox and just for fun tested a web page I have written:

      http://OurComments.org/

      The XTHML code looks fine in nxml-mode but it does not validate, see here:

      http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//ourcomments.org/

      The validator complains about the IMG element. It is not allowed in the
      context where it is placed.

      I do not understand. Why does not nxml-mode detect this? What is wrong
      here? My references perhaps?
    • Vidar Larsen
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
        Den 6. des. 2005 kl. 17:13 skrev Lennart Borgman:

        > I was a bit surprised when I looked through the Web Developers
        > Tools in
        > FireFox and just for fun tested a web page I have written:
        >
        > http://OurComments.org/
        >
        > The XTHML code looks fine in nxml-mode but it does not validate,
        > see here:
        >
        > http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//
        > ourcomments.org/
        >
        > The validator complains about the IMG element. It is not allowed in
        > the
        > context where it is placed.
        >
        > I do not understand. Why does not nxml-mode detect this? What is wrong
        > here? My references perhaps?

        In my nxml-mode-20041004/schemas/xhtml.rnc it says it is the union of
        transitional and frameset. The w3c validator reports valid if I set
        an override to treat it as XHTML 1.0 Transitional. So it seems
        consistent, at least.

        /vidar
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
          Vidar Larsen wrote:

          >Den 6. des. 2005 kl. 17:13 skrev Lennart Borgman:
          >

          >>I was a bit surprised when I looked through the Web Developers
          >>Tools in
          >>FireFox and just for fun tested a web page I have written:
          >>
          >> http://OurComments.org/
          >>
          >>The XTHML code looks fine in nxml-mode but it does not validate,
          >>see here:
          >>
          >> http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//
          >>ourcomments.org/
          >>
          >>The validator complains about the IMG element. It is not allowed in
          >>the
          >>context where it is placed.
          >>
          >>I do not understand. Why does not nxml-mode detect this? What is wrong
          >>here? My references perhaps?
          >>

          >In my nxml-mode-20041004/schemas/xhtml.rnc it says it is the union of
          >transitional and frameset. The w3c validator reports valid if I set
          >an override to treat it as XHTML 1.0 Transitional. So it seems
          >consistent, at least.

          Thanks, I did not know about that. Then I believe I might be seeing a
          corner case that is not fully supported in nxml-mode. I guess you
          normally to not have "transitional" DTD:s? It seems like a special "web
          mess".

          It is of course confusing however. If someone knows how to fix this I
          think it would be good. Does the nxml-mode code actually look at the
          whole DOCTYPE definition? I mean could it map to xhtml.rnc and
          xhtml-1.0-transition.rnc for example?
        • Victor Anyakin
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2005
            On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 06:37:47PM +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:
            > Vidar Larsen wrote:
            >
            > >Den 6. des. 2005 kl. 17:13 skrev Lennart Borgman:
            > >

            > >>I was a bit surprised when I looked through the Web Developers
            > >>Tools in
            > >>FireFox and just for fun tested a web page I have written:
            > >>
            > >> http://OurComments.org/
            > >>
            > >>The XTHML code looks fine in nxml-mode but it does not validate,
            > >>see here:
            > >>
            > >> http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//
            > >>ourcomments.org/
            > >>
            > >>The validator complains about the IMG element. It is not allowed in
            > >>the
            > >>context where it is placed.
            > >>
            > >>I do not understand. Why does not nxml-mode detect this? What is wrong
            > >>here? My references perhaps?
            > >>

            > >In my nxml-mode-20041004/schemas/xhtml.rnc it says it is the union of
            > >transitional and frameset. The w3c validator reports valid if I set
            > >an override to treat it as XHTML 1.0 Transitional. So it seems
            > >consistent, at least.
            > >

            > Thanks, I did not know about that. Then I believe I might be seeing a
            > corner case that is not fully supported in nxml-mode. I guess you
            > normally to not have "transitional" DTD:s? It seems like a special "web
            > mess".
            >
            > It is of course confusing however. If someone knows how to fix this I
            > think it would be good. Does the nxml-mode code actually look at the
            > whole DOCTYPE definition? I mean could it map to xhtml.rnc and
            > xhtml-1.0-transition.rnc for example?

            It seems to me, that the problem is in the schema being used to validate
            the buffer, but not in the nxml-mode itself.

            --
            Victor Anyakin () ascii ribbon campaign
            /\ - against html mail
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2005
              Victor Anyakin wrote:

              >On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 06:37:47PM +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:
              >

              >>Vidar Larsen wrote:

              >>>In my nxml-mode-20041004/schemas/xhtml.rnc it says it is the union of
              >>>transitional and frameset. The w3c validator reports valid if I set
              >>>an override to treat it as XHTML 1.0 Transitional. So it seems
              >>>consistent, at least.
              >>>

              >>Thanks, I did not know about that. Then I believe I might be seeing a
              >>corner case that is not fully supported in nxml-mode. I guess you
              >>normally to not have "transitional" DTD:s? It seems like a special "web
              >>mess".
              >>
              >>It is of course confusing however. If someone knows how to fix this I
              >>think it would be good. Does the nxml-mode code actually look at the
              >>whole DOCTYPE definition? I mean could it map to xhtml.rnc and
              >>xhtml-1.0-transition.rnc for example?
              >>

              >It seems to me, that the problem is in the schema being used to validate
              >the buffer, but not in the nxml-mode itself.

              I am not sure since the schema seems to be stored in xhtml.rnc. How does
              nxml-mode distunguish between different versions?
            • Victor Anyakin
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
                On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 04:37:20PM +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:

                > >It seems to me, that the problem is in the schema being used to validate
                > >the buffer, but not in the nxml-mode itself.
                > >
                > I am not sure since the schema seems to be stored in xhtml.rnc. How does
                > nxml-mode distunguish between different versions?

                Well, I have not checked it before, but I suspect, that this is somehow
                defined in the 'schema/schemas.xml' file in the emacs-nxml-mode
                installation directory.

                As it seems to me, that file selects the schema depending on the
                document's namespace.

                In any case, I would advice you to see if this feature is documented in
                the emacs-nxml-mode documentation.

                With best regards,